Weapon targeting area changing with the size of the weapon VS. the size of the ship it is mounted on

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    It has been generally agreed, as far as I can see, that being able to aim a weapon anywhere on the screen is not a very good mechanic, and that the targeting area should be limited. So I had a thought on how this could be done. Make it so that the larger a weapon is in proportion to the size of the ship it is on, the smaller the area it can aim at. So if you have some sort of super cannon running the whole length of you ship, you will only really be able to aim it at ships your size or larger. But if you have a few smaller guns, they will be much more useable against small craft. It will make small fighters much more able to cope with larger ones, and also give a role to ships dedicated to attacking larger capital ships and ones made to fight small craft.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Or a server.cfg option to just lock aiming reticule to center. That'll really give smaller ships some survivability.

Maybe it should even be a vanilla setting.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Waffle more op. Please nerf.
    Ahhhh...... darn, didn't think of that....

Although, it would only be better against fighters, and a ship big enough to mount a large waffle weapon would not be too worried about fighters anyway.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    I think it would be better to just straight up nerf the firing arc, that way you get the desired nerf for big ships while not affecting little ships so much because they have the high turning rate to offset it. While were at it can we increase the firing arc for fixed docked guns a little? the old sideways firing brick was definitely too much but now you have to literally keep your recital perfectly on the targets nav-marker. this makes an otherwise viable and interesting alternative unusable. Something like a 22.5 degree firing arc would be a nice balance.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Yup. Locking the aiming area for fixed-mounted weapons entirely works for me. Firing arc must work only for weapon covergence when you're aiming directly at something with a group of weapons. I didn't get the idea of 'waffles are op'. You can fire waffles unfocused anyway, what's the catch?

Also, I'd love if Schine would introduce a Turret Control computer, which could be aimed like now, but would instead control and fire Turrets with "Current Target" AI setting (hence rename it to "Manual"). You'd choose that computer, link it to Turret Axis blocks, and set turrets on them to Manual targeting, and voila, you have turrets which would follow your reticle and fire when you press/hold LMB with Controller selected in action bar.