Weapon Effects

Reaction score
    I have heard about some people wanting modifications for weapons like change the color, the size, mostly visual improvements. and it got me thinking it would be cool to have weapon effects that change the actual combat of the weapons. This wouldn't be like the planned weapon system, doesn't make it faster or stronger per say, just adds a little something extra.

The way I think it work best is if you had one weapons effect type and tagged it to one weapons system. The effect of the mod would be proportional to the strength of the weapon, so you only need one block per system. Some effects work better with some weapons than others, and some not at all

Effect Types:

Flechette/ Shrapnel
    Does a small area effect that does extra damage to NPC and Players.
    • AMCs - Okay
    • Missiles - Good
    • Mines - Good
    • Beams - Doesn't work
    • Pulsar - Doesn't work

Incendiary
    Weapons create fire when hitting blocks/ or turn blocks into lava. which in turn damages Player or NPC.
    • AMCs - Okay
    • Missiles - Good
    • Mines - Good
    • Beams - Great
    • Pulsar - Okay
    Gravaton
    Has a push back effect in the same way the Pulsator has.
    • AMCs - Okay
    • Missiles - Good
    • Mines - Great
    • Beams - Okay
    • Pulsar - Great
    Electro Magnetic/ Disruptor
    Disrupts power regen.
    • AMCs - Okay
    • Missiles - Good
    • Mines - Great
    • Beams - Great
    • Pulsar - Good
    All of these are just ideas for the future and by no means need to happen right now.​

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Its an idea, but not one I think we need :/ Particularly the Shrapnel one; as we could add a pulse Slave system to make it AoE anyways, which would also damage players if they were hit.

Incendiary makes little sense as it is space :u there is no air for fires, and if you punch a hole in the side, the air whooshes out.

I believe there is plans to use the Push effect that the pulsar used to have in a future systems.

And the Disruptor falls into electronic warfare I think :u which may be nice indeed, but I would prefer if it was a Separate weapon type, cause if you consider the massive walls of bullets and missiles a normal Battleship can fire, it would render the other ship utterly useless.

And thats another thing to consider when suggestion ideas -3- "How will people abuse/exploit this system".

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Heh.. I'm always up for loophole shenanigans. I would gladly make a truly massive EMP array that would suck the lifeforce right out of any battleship. You'd have all the time in the world to pry out the pilot with a crowbar when you've got a sitting duck like that. No power for engines, weapons, shield generation..
    I think even if you make it a very temporary loss of power to get hit with a 'pulse/beam/wave/etc', it'd just take a little more time to weasel around and make a system to have 9 EMP groups to cycle through for the same effect.

On a side note, I can't wait to have a weapon that can push like the pulsars did. Colossal Dennis-the-Menace slingshot battleship, anyone? I'm pretty sure that AI turrets won't be on the lookout for inbound asteroids. Just sayin'. :D

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I wouldn't say I am for loopholes. Exploitation in games is generally bad. That being say, alternative and creative ways of using different systems should be encouraged.

As for whether and what weapon system would be effective in what case, I'd rather way till we get this new weapon system really finished. Otherwise debating usefulness of it may be somewhat too pre-emptive to be wise (though certainly suggestions and warnings to avoid mistakes beforehand would are good).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Heh.. I'm a fan of the shenanigans that showcase the loopholes to be closed, as Starmade is very much under construction. One man's ridiculous physics engine antics are anothers bug report. :) It's also true that a lot of weapon system debate could be postponed since it's already about to undergo a stem-to-stern overhaul. :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    I like the idea of throwing things around with a repulser beam...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    That would make physical missiles (lots of detonator blocks attacked to a core) more possible, and more realistic.