Recognized by Council Waypoint Chains?

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    It'd be kinda handy to be able to make chains of waypoints for things like long distance jump drive flights and to map a safe path through areas for ourselves and others.

In the case of using a chain of waypoints for jump drive travel the jumps would always go to the first point in the chain, and follow the points in order. That said only the closest points would show to people while not in the galaxy map menu by default unless they changed their settings.

It would be rather useful for navigation to say the least. :)

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    It'd be kinda handy to be able to make chains of waypoints for things like long distance jump drive flights and to map a safe path through areas for ourselves and others.

In the case of using a chain of waypoints for jump drive travel the jumps would always go to the first point in the chain, and follow the points in order. That said only the closest points would show to people while not in the galaxy map menu by default unless they changed their settings.

Conn, plot a course for the Kyptus Quasar.

Aye, Aye, Captain.

Yes we need this.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5

It would also reduce the number of entries.

Have you thought about the details of mixing strings?

If string A, B, C exists, A-B, B-C connected, A|C not connected, (A→C)=>(A→B→C).

You could access way-points of B for route-planing without showing all of B.

But 2 strings merging to a Y-section, should split into 3 strings - because a string has only 2 ends.
    And 2 strings crossing to a X-section, should split into 4 strings.
    If not, your "strings" have ambiguous meanings.

Then you should use the word route (route through way-points).​

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I like this! Manually plotting around a star is quite annoying. You would think in the futuristic StarMade universe, with jump-drive technology, they'd have a way to plot a course, right?

How about being able to save routes a well? (the game would set the starting point of a route as the first place to head to)

And to add to this, how about we allow these waypoint routes to be saved to your StarChart? (Briefly this idea is to make it so players need to explore an area before they can see it on their map, and the maps would be tradeable). This would allow trade routes to be established. Perhaps attack plans for warring factions. It could be used to implement missions as well. For example, when accepting a mission from an NPC, a set of waypoints is loaded into your map with the different objectives loaded for each stop. The quest route would have blue lines to differentiate them.

Thoughts anyone? :)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Y'all had me at improving jump navigation but now you've pointed out the idea can be expanded on for RP purposes, I'd say this feature is a must! :)

Reaction score
    We totally need this! But it will also need a jump-distance indicator in the galaxy map, so you know if the sector you are targetting is in range or you need to perform two jumps, so you can plan the two jumps in order to avoid a star or whatever.

Actually, the distance indicator could be added on its own ASAP, I think it's really easy, fast and safe to implement.

And of course this could be integrated with the new AI system, so you add a navigation module to your ship and it will jump following your waypoints.

Reactions: Blodge

serge1944

Grand Admiral of The Infection Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Hyperspace routes.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    hmm didn't think this topic would come back from the dead without my help. XD

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    hmm didn't think this topic would come back from the dead without my help. XD
    With the new counsel in, they've been reviewing threads quite a bit, so I was doing some searching for things I'd like to see. I found your thread and thought I'd bump it and add to it a bit. :)

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    This is a must have feature now that suns are actually dangerous, we really need to be able to see what sectors are not safe and plot a course around them.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Here's how I think it could be implemented.

On the map screen, there is a "Plot Course" button which opens a static "Plot Course" window in your map screen. Then each point you set is added to the list of coordinates. You can also manually type coordinates in if you'd like and change the order around (by dragging each one up or down). It displays lines between the points, to show the course you've plotted. Then when you jump, you follow that trajectory. On this static screen, you also have the option to "Save preset" or "Load preset."

Reactions: Blodge and NTIMESc