Warpgates: Close the Iris!

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    So before I go spending a couple million setting up some sta...warpgates, I have a question I don't see right off from the Search.

What happens to a ship that enters a warpgate when the other end has blast doors closing it over on both sides?

Does the jump fail, does the ship ignore the doors and come through anyway? Do they go splat like bugs on a windshield?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Warpgates are a glorified sector change command triggered when you pass though the gate to the destination gates sector. So no, it doesn't fail. Nothing happens.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    you dont even come out near the other gate.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    But you should. How hard is it to code it in?

Once I made a StarGate on a planet.
    It only worked when I built it on the tip of "Mount Everest" (the highest spot at some entity).

If something was in front or behind it (like if you build it underground), it didn't work, I don't even know if this is fixed.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Warp gates trigger when the core of the ship passes into and through the 'active' layer. It is just a super long way of using /change_sector, but it gets the job done for now. With smart building you could make the gates appear to exit out of each-other. But that's a lot of work for very little payoff - and you still wouldn't be able to 'close' the iris.

Reaction score
    I recommend using a system of logic, doors, and disintegrators on both ends.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It took me hours to get those gates linked properly, but I finally did. Dear God that is a NIGHTMARE the first time you do it, at least until you figure out that right click stores the current location, and left click uploads the stored destination into the second gate.

Now it'll be easy, just store the origin point, fly off and make another gate, upload origin, get new destination, warp back and complete the loop.

That first time? Sweet Jeebus flavored crackers, I must have made the full length trip in an overdrive pod at least half a dozen times trying to figure it all out!