Recognized Warp Gate Upgrades

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Currently warp gates have a set rang of around 128 sectors. I propose that warp gate rang be determined by the amount of power you pump into it. Or we could have range booster blocks we could add to the gates.
    And lastly a computer that can be mounted on the outside of a gate, that could be selected by the ships docking beam. This would then bring up a list off all the warp gates that are linked to that gate, and allow you select the one you want to go to.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Megacrafter127

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Currently warp gates can get you up to 8 systems away and it only takes 16 gates to cross an entire galaxy including the void space in between the farthest arms. I wouldn't mind seeing different kinds of gates for different lengths of travel. I think 8 is the highest we should go though really. Of course we also have no real reason to travel further out. Nothing out there doesn't spawn in the center of galaxies. I think updates that focus on exploration will add to this.

Reaction score
    Well, as for motives to go further out, faction wars is one.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I don't think this is necessary at the moment. I love the universe redesign, don't get me wrong, but space is still pretty bland. What does one sector have that another doesn't? Because of the availability of all resources within a single sector, the ease of respawning asteroids, and the lack of interesting or unique galaxy features there is no difference between settling here or there except to get away from other players (defeating the point of multi-player).

I agree with Vanhelzing, the galaxie will need more features before warp gate ranges are increased.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Sometimes on large servers a faction will want to set up in another galaxy (I know that on Elwyn, Odium has done this). To do this, they end up having the admins change the range of jump gates to be larger. But having a way to upgrade jump gates to do this, instead of chaining or changing defaults, would be very nice.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    The idea of gates that can change their own destination one way or another I definitely support. There could be blocks that store one link each and are activated by logic, or we could even dial them each time, stargate style. Adjustable range... having played on Elwyn, I feel making jump ranges too high makes the universe kind of small. Personally, I like the concept of gate bridges (also stargate-style), and a selectable-destination system to make those easier (So we don't need two gates at every "node") seems perfectly sufficient.