Warp-gate attempt

Reaction score
    i tried to build a warp-gate how i would like to have it in the game.

//i.imgur.com/nY9BIY1.png?1[/IMG]

on the server i'm playing there are already 2 of them.

one in -5, -4,-1 (cerberus-hq)

and this one in spawn (2, 2, 2)

Hope you guys like it:D

edit: i finally managed to have a preview xD sorry guys!

Reaction score
    yes, that\'s right but it wouldn\'t have a use anyway besides looking good.

i keep telling the people on the server that prolonged exposure to warp-gates may cause cancer:D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I would prefer solution that lets us travel FTL or Warp speeds without gates, besides that my ships wouldnt fit into it. Nice art work btw.

Reaction score
    thx:) i think there should be both.

really big ships should have enough energy and room to generate their own warp-bubble while smaller or medium sized space-craft should either hitch a ride on a big ship or jump trough gates to cross vast distances:)

anyway. both options should use giant ammounts of energy depending on the distance.

maybe some form of new energy (tanks filled with strange matter).

oh god, i hope schema adds something like this soon x)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The gates could use their own power supply for the jump, which would allow the ships to keep moving after they arrive at the destination but would prevent too many ships from going through at once. And then built-in warp-drives on ships use the ship\'s power and could require a minimum of 100,000 power (or maybe even more) so that only very large ships could use them.

Some balancing would still be needed, though, I think. Like, large ships using their own power are completely drained after the jump and have to recharge so they can\'t just pop in and suddenly be firing away.

There would also need to be some sort of limit to what could go through the smaller gates, to prevent someone from shoving an extremely long and skinny ship though. Maybe if it had a size maximum like with docking.

Reaction score
    Too many colors imo, making them only grey/black/white would fit better, I\'d add 1 extra color at max.

Reaction score
    but i wanted it to look \"powerful\" full with energy.

filled to the brim with dangerous yet stable matter.

plus. i like the colour-mix blue and orange (Portal series) they fit together:D

thx for the feedback!:)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think the colors work nicely for any that might be scattered around the map naturally, near shops or whatever, but I\'d like it to be all made possible by some sort of block so that factions could make their own. With that in mind, they could probably come in all shapes and sizes, as long as they have a large enough gap for ships to pass through (like if, in building mode, there was a sectioned off zone that you couldn\'t build inside, kind of like a really long docking zone).

So anyone who doesn\'t like the look of your sample idea wouldn\'t have to worry about it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I would like to see an gate to gate implementation.

You still have to got to the destination the hard way.

The gate itself is just the border layed out with special blocks, you can add any hulls you want to make it look good.

The size you make the gate-edge plus the distance to the target gate dictates the power that is needed.

When the power requirement is met, the gate switches on and continues to stay on as long as it can get a fraction of the power it needed upon activation (50%? 10% I don\'t care).

As soon as the core of the ship hits the event-horizon of the warpgate, the whole ship gets teleported to the receiving warpgate.

Warpgates should be HARD, and harder depending on the size of the ship you want to push through.

This concludes my opinion on warpgates, subspace travel is something different.

Reaction score
    i\'m not saying that \"all\" the portals should look exactly like mine xD

i was just building one because i tought it was a funny idea:)

i built it this way because i think it looks good, not because \"it has to be like this and not something different\"

this game is about customization so there should be all kinds of gates:)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Found a server with functional Warpgates

picture from sun-world.at

Reaction score
    Yes the Gates are Working, but they are also in alpha State, we currently have about 15 working Gates at Sun-World. This solution is temporary. I am sure in on oft the next versions 2014 there will be a official implementation!

Our current solution is completly Server Side and needs no change of the Client.