Warp Drive

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'm sure there is many other warp drive posts as I have heard allot of people talking about it. But I have a different mechanic for this. As this game seems to be placed in the future we should have a warp drive mechanic that takes use of negative energy. For those of you who dont know this negative energy is theoryetical and physicists are working on an actually warp drive using it. The idea which involves expanding space time behind you and compressing it infront of you does not violate any laws of general relativity. Because you are not excelerating but the space time around you is you can actually reach a destination before light does without going faster than light. There would also be 0g and your ship would not gain mass because there is no speed. Anyway lets get onto the game now. I think that what we could do is have a block that you are required the place on your ship for ward drive. When you press "R" on the block it would open up a menu where you had to have a certain ammount of "dark energy" or some other item. You could only put enough for one jump in at a time so you would need to refill it each time. Dark energy could be mined maybe or created with the factory stuff. The warp drive would work just like a weapon and you would equipt it. Once you press it there would be a 30sec countdown or so before you warp. Hope you guys like my idea and don't forget to give feedback or add to it.

Reaction score
    I personally think a warp drive in the game would be an excellent idea considering it took me about 2-3 hours to fly from 2,2,2 all the way to 100,100,100. Though i think it should function off of the power your ship has. maybe how much power you generate can affect how far you can go in one jump then has like a cool down until you can use it again.

Say you have a tiny ship and put a warp drive on it and some power. you start at 2,2,2 and depending on how much energy you ship produces, maybe you have 2-3 power units you can maybe jump from 2,2,2 all thw way to 2,2,7? of course to limit this in combat i think: A) it should force your shields to drop. and B) have a 30 sec to 1 minute charge up time allowing for people to get a few good hits on you before you bail out. now bigger ships would need more power and maybe even a longer charge up time

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I agree this mechanic would be better for the game. We should not let the ammount of blocks on your ship affect how fast or how far it can go because you need to remember. Its not the ship thats moving. :D

Reaction score
    blocks on your ship affect how fast or how far it can go because you need to remember. Its not the ship thats moving. :D

Well it shouldnt affect how fast it goes because its basically just teleporting your ship so its instant travel. it should affect how far and how long it takes for it to charge though. and maybe higher power requirements than 2-3 cores for a 5 sector jump xD. maybe like 20 lol

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I agree this mechanic would be better for the game. We should not let the ammount of blocks on your ship affect how fast or how far it can go because you need to remember. Its not the ship thats moving. :D

Ok so this basically comes down to killing the games concept of exploration. basically what was in my suggestion is that you can only go to places you\'ve already been. basically everything except the dark matter thing is from my post.already mentioned

Also: Why do all FTL suggestions have an unneeded explanation about \"You\'re not moving but the universe does\" and all that crap about mass and \"If space has any mass\" because thats what everyone does. if i were you i\'d keep it simple :P

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Warp drives are all about theory now. They may or may not work. People just like to explain how they think a warp drive would work. Also, space might have mass... If it did or didn\'t, we\'d have no way of measuring it o_O

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Here\'s why

Warp drives are all about theory now. They may or may not work. People just like to explain how they think a warp drive would work. Also, space might have mass... If it did or didn\'t, we\'d have no way of measuring it o_O

This isn\'t \'may or may not work\' This is making suggestions for a game. No need to tie this all to real-life theories its just trying to implement something. maybe schema or beetle should make a sticky thread about how warpdrives work so it won\'t be written everywhere.