Warp Drive Summary for Devs

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Warp Drive Technology Summary for Devs

I read the entire thread at http://star-made.org/content/warp-module.

Now I will summarize, in my opinion, the solid points of it, and as a programmer myself, remove the stuff I feel is not going to happen (for programming or game reasons) so its easy for the devs to read:

1. Concept of going really fast e.g. Star Trek "Warp drive" will be considered the equivalent of "Jump drive". E.g. APPEARING somewhere really fast. Actually zooming by sectors really fast can't be done (without a lot of effort).

2. Warp drive module. Yes. Required on ships. Minimum ship mass of say 10000 for it to be usable.

3. Stargate style "Warp Gates". Yes.

Like Minecraft nether portals, Warp Gates have to be BIG ENOUGH to fit a ship that wants to use it. Gate can be "fatter long-ways" for longer journeys, each block adds 5 sectors. Up to a maximum ~25. So a circle/rectangle/other of 5 blocks thickness will warp you 25 sectors away. Mostly requires Power Tanks. In theory one power block would be enough, but would take ages to fill up the shitload of instant power it requires to do the jump. Each "warpgate block" might require 1000 power for example (or whatever). So a gate fitting in a 3Wx3HxUnknownL ship would require about 12000 instant power from batteries.

WARP GATE EXITING OPTION 1:

Warp Gates require you "connect it" to another Warp Gate within the range above. Similar to how you would connect a salvage computer to salvage cannon. The Exit Gate has to be big enough to fit the ship too, or an error message will show.

If either gate is broken or entry gate loses range required (broken block) then travel is not possible. Error shown "Exit Gate at 5,4,30 is damaged / too small!" or "Entry gate maximum distance too short!".

WARP GATE EXITING OPTION 2:

No Exit Gate. Manually enter coordinates you want to jump to (similar to Warp Drive below).

All ships have to pass through the gate pyshically. This can be calculated by checking a part of the ship has passed through and then calculating the total length of blocks that have passed through. If equal to length of ship, they went through OK, begin warp. Assuming no crazy glitching the gate itself will stop ships too big from passing through.

WARP DRIVE MODULE:

4. Warp Drive module Can be added to any ship, but only activates on big ships (mass 10000+ etc etc). Requires 4 million instanteanous power for mass 10000. And scales up appropriately depending on mass of ship, and optionally, mass of other docked turrets/ships.

5. Warp Drive requires a 60 second spooling up (add nice sound effect). Taken from Battlestar Galactica. Upon exiting warp, shields are down for 60 seconds and power tanks only re-build to 50% of what was required to warp ("running system integrity checks") - thus limiting firing abilities and further inticing players to avoid charging into enemies straight out of warp.

6. Warp requires a 5 minute Cool Down period before being usable again.

7. To use warp drive, you access it like you would the radar jammer, except upon pressing its hot key, a menu appears asking you for coordinates to warp to. Essentially mimicking the admin change_sector command, but with sound effects and abit more code to ensure they don't spawn into a planet.

Upon initiating warp drive or the warp gate, the ship goes into "spectator mode" like in Counter Strike and vanishes from the originating sector, then loads the new sector, THEN appears when it's loaded. Giving the game the chance to fix its position if required, not land in a planet that then slowly loads around your ship. During the loading period you can have a stars-flying-by effect.

MISC SUGGESTIONS SEEN:

1. There was talk of "making it expensive". Well, right now the economy lets everyone be a billionaire so this isn't a genuine roadblock. I think the concept of CRAFTING the warp module / warp gate blocks is the way to go / no chance of buying from shops. I never actually tried the factory aspect of this game yet so not 100% here.

2. There was talk of Star Trek style Nacilles (those horizontal sticks on each side of the USS Enterprise). This COULD be done for ships too. Basically. Warp Modules have to be placed on each side of the ship, either to the left and right, or top and bottom of wherever the ship core is pointing. Exactly distanced apart on each side of the warp core (mirroring themselves), and must be on the EDGE of each ships side, at the very least, inline with the edge.

This allows enemies to Destroy Warp Capability by targetting the ships warp modules that are chained together, "nacilles". Adding a tactical element to the game - lack of escape beyond regular engines.

Mass of ship indicates number of warp nacille blocks/modules required. Maybe one per 500 mass. So in case of 10000 mass ship, thats 10 nacilles on each side of ship required. If one breaks and its uneven, but still has enough mass-moving ability, a warning can be shown, that damage will occur on the broken side of the ship upon warp. Damage can be more severe the less even the nacilles are, 50% or more difference and its not possible to warp.

Warp problems solved

Shweet :D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I like the module idea. It has good downsides and timing to keep it from being retardly good.

Reaction score
    Requiring massive ships over 10000 mass is just silly. There\'s absolutely zero consensus on this.

There are many more options for fast travel. You could have no entry points but fixed exit beacons. You could also have to rely on another player activating a beacon module.

Even the step of \"passing\" through a gate sounds like extra work. It\'s much easier to check the already-existing docking condition , evaluating volume clearance within the gate.

I\'m partial to simple twinned gates (Eve style) but they bring other issues such as sovereignty , vulnerability and return on investment. Overal , there are tons of variables that can\'t just be eyeballed , it\'d need extensive playtesting.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    how about a \'nav menu\' option for the gates, when you approach the gate/remote activate it with the appropriate on ship module (i.e. a dialing computer) it opens a list of gates in range and their portal dimensions so that even if the exit gate is smaller, a smaller ship can still pass through.

that way you get the effects of the eve style gates, but you have no garanteed destination.

besides, the time and resources needed to make and operate a gate would make it pretty much worthless to anyone but a large faction who need it for accelerated logistics chains and are almost garenteed to be guarding it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    an alternative to the unanchored gate could be an automatic jump forwards of x many sectors?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This wasn\'t meant to be concrete or anything... also big ships only with warp is not silly at all. Who wants a bunch of noobs warping everywhere in 3x3 borg cubes. Make it something to Earn. Something Hard to achieve, Something not every shitty little ship can have. Eve\'s gate system is for a community that share one server, this there are 10 of us per server, so its a bad idea to fall back to \"what does Eve do\" unless this game became central like Eve and has 10000 players in one shared universe.

The docking idea is not bad, docking to a gate like you would a hangar, except without all the pain and suffering - you just fire your docking beam to it and disapears... no size requirements for gates like that...but no real design requirements for it either - which is bad. Noobs should not be able to make gates, they have to \"suffer\" and learn how etc. Like in minecraft you cant make obsidian generators without sitting down and learning and \"earning the right\". Keeps things in check.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I prefer the module idea but having both i think would be better for example the modules would reguire prob 5k mass instead of 10k so that u cant have small ships with modules, but u can have a gate(or maybe gate ship like vayger in homeworld 2?) and the small ships can go through that.

Then theres the power i think 4mil is way to much, ive never had a ship with 4mil max power cuz getting that many tanks is hard...then theres getting a proper generation rate for that much power, so i think the power amount should be directy relative to the mass i.e. 4 energy per 1 mass or something like that.

back to the gates real quick, i think (especially if using the ships) u should require one on both ends.

now on to aquiring such an item, since the last update faction modules can cost anywhere from 100k to 400k which is ridicoulous, as well becoming a millionaire now is alot harder, i think making the modules 500k each then making the sub modules(more later) cost apx. 250k each, making the cost of a warp sytem between 1 and 1.5 mil.

now for the submodules, i think u should require 4 module(top,bottom,left and right) and them not need to be equal distances from the core but be in the outer layer of each side, which would expose them to damage.

Thats all i can come up with now but if i think of anything else ill deffinatly post it =P

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    got some more stuff already...and to lazy to edit =P

i dont think there should be penalties after a jump, becasue if theres a mass of pirates/pirate station or something huge there ull be screwed, but if there needs to be a penalty cut weapon damge myabe by half after a jump or increse thier cooldown for a certain amount of time.

also i think jumps shouldn\'t be instant, it should take an amount of time that is less then what it would take to get to that sector flying i.e. if it took 10 min. to fly the distance at the servers max speed it would take 5 min to warp their. while the warp is hapening you would be able to talk and help noobs =P and would have a cool screen of space dust flying by(maybe with your ship rendered in it, and u would see it in a cinematic sort of view)

also if there are any players within 3 sectors of were you are warping to once u start your warp and when your maybe 90% through it would send the player a message saying \"[player name(or ship name)] is warping wihtin 3 secotrs of you\"

thats it for this one...have fun =P

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If there is a mass of pirates there, thats too bad! That\'s the risk you take for warping to a sector you have never been. Hell I even want the ships after warp to travel at HALF speed, now THAT is a good idea...jump into a bad spot... deal with the consequences of lower power reserves, half speed, and affected weapons (from low power)... I think this is good...

The idea of waiting in a phantom zone for a countdown to go past, and you just watch stars, probably go in build mode if you want, and just WAIT, is BAD - Because there is a game called WISP Online, that is basically a \"hands free\" minecraft, where you have to WAIT. Chop tree... WAIT 20 seconds... Make Fire, Wait 20 seconds... It\'s so utterly frustrating after a while its just like wow, My time is far more valuable than this - screw this shit, I\'m done! That\'s what happened to me personally - and others. I figure the spool up and cool down timer for warp in the first post above is better because at least your ship is still usable in the universe... you can manually go to a shop, mine something, do wahtever while you wait to warp again, rather than be trapped in a phantom zone of nothing, waiting for a countdown timer like a chump pissing his time away (thats exactly how I felt with WISP online - great game but the timer thing destroyed it for me).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    if ur warping to an unkown sector and cant deal with pirates ur an idiot...but that wasnt the point,but i do believe that having too many downsides will make it unuseable because theres a large chance youll take alot of damage after use.

Also i do believe if you had the other cooldown u wouldnt be able to move your ship very far, and if you leave it to go to a shop and arnt back in time you would either have to wait again or it would warp without you. also its not like you have to wait for everything in this game.

although i do agree with the half speed, but i think that power drop and possible shield drop(along with 1/2 weapons and speed) is far worse then waiting a few minutes(when you would have to wait even longer going manually) and having half weapons and half speed.

also with this meathod you dont have to sit at the computer and watch your ship, you can afk because you know how long it will take and then come back when its time to exit.

P.S. what do you think of the other stuff i said?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    No idea why you would think you had to stay in one stop to begin a warp. No sci-fi show limits ships to that. They are free to roam wherever they please via regular engines until their FTL drive / warp drive / jump drive powers up. Then boom they disapear. Also making people wait in one spot is a sure fire way to kill of the player base...wisp online for example.

Warp gates should not impact your ship, other than charging themselves up for having enough power to go again... but thats it...because you had to fly to it and spend time to get there manually to use, that is punishment enough. Not like there will be a warp gate in every sector if its made to be expensive/difficult/require a lot of blocks to set up. Probably no penalty required for exiting warp gates required either... but have to see how that plays out...

Warp gates should be usable by all, warp drives should be a privilege (or wahtever), and used with caution... half-speed such a good idae when exiting warp drive... no running away for making a bad decision... deal with it! Small craft wont ever have this problem because they wont be able to have working warp drive...

I think this works out pretty well to be honest! I dig that Nacille thing whoever mentioned that in the other thread... make them piss weak 20hp no armor...stop the bad warp guy from warping away again and cement his DOOM (if his hands-down stupid and visits an enemy faction\'s sector with players in it online)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Would you also look at other warp ideas of older and different takes on things? http://star-made.org/content/warp-gates-worm-holes