Warhead Damage

Reaction score
    Hey, I want to talk about one of the most unexplored and vaguest topics in Starmade:
    Warheads.
    I´ve been reading a bit bout whats already has been discussed on the forums and it hardly gave any answers at all, rather creating more confusion.
    All that I can say is, that Warheads and the way they inflict damage is bugged or very, very counterintuitive and confusing in my build.
    As it appears they are infact doing damage to shields rather than ignoring them, but also quite noticeable amounts, the damage inflicted however was fluctuating alot. In some tests only one Warhead fired with a torpedo ( I´m using Drakkart´s desingn ;) ) on a 600k shielded target was able to smash it down to about 100k, in others it was just around 50k damage inflicted and sometimes it didn´t do anything at all (the circumstances were allways exactly the same)
    What was also very confusing that the damage done increased when I used two warheads but than lowered drastically with three and than increased slightly ( barely noticeable ) again with every further warhead.
    After that I read in the forums about Warheads ignoring shields, Warheads doing no damage to shields at all, or that they are doing very little amounts of damage to shields.
    So my Question is how do warheads behave in your games and if anyone knows how they are intended to behave right now?

Cheers

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Warheads are bugged. They do do damage, but they do their damage when they 'collide'. The key word is 'collide', because the game checks when things are colliding in a strange way at times. If you ram a warhead into something so that it clips inside, the game starts doing a lot of collision detections and such. If the game runs 3 collision checks before the Warhead is destroyed, you just hit the shields 3 times. It's quite bugged.

Reaction score
    alright thx for that as in my latest test were I sit inside the target while its hit to reduce bug and glitching potential the outcame was at least simple but uncool if I may say so ;).
    It turned out that it doesn´t matter how many warheads you use it is always the same damage ( I had bout 85% of shields left when hit)
    I think sth about 90k damage for one Warhead is quite reasonable but don´t you think it would be cooler if more warheads actually caused more damage, which sounds like no-brainer for me?

Reaction score
    Hey sorry if im necroing. I am wondering about warheads myself.

In my tests 1 warhead does ~38k damage to shields. And 2 (1x2) did ~70k

They seemed like they would be quite usefull as they are really cheap to make. Also pirates and other bobbys wont shoot them if the torpedo doesnt have a bobby. So super stealthy. You could use a stealth ship to drop off a bomb at a pirate station and detonate remotely with wireless logic.

I made a torpedo with 54warheads to destroy an alpha but it only did <10% of its shield damage which should be 235k shields?

The way i made it was with a core a casing(greyhull) plex door on the nose and a 3x3x6warheads. The plex connected to logic and opened when i was ready to drop exposing the watheads. I took a ship with the warhead docked up to top speed and released with the rail. The torpedo was super accurate and made a direct hit but didnt do much for damage.

So does the casing/plex door even though opened eat up alot of the warheads damage?

Last edited:

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Hey sorry if im necroing. I am wondering about warheads myself.

In my tests 1 warhead does ~38k damage to shields. And 2 (1x2) did ~70k

They seemed like they would be quite usefull as they are really cheap to make. Also pirates and other bobbys wont shoot them if the torpedo doesnt have a bobby. So super stealthy. You could use a stealth ship to drop off a bomb at a pirate station and detonate remotely with wireless logic.

I made a torpedo with 54warheads to destroy an alpha but it only did <10% of its shield damage which should be 235k shields?

The way i made it was with a core a casing(greyhull) plex door on the nose and a 3x3x6warheads. The plex connected to logic and opened when i was ready to drop exposing the watheads. I took a ship with the warhead docked up to top speed and released with the rail. The torpedo was super accurate and made a direct hit but didnt do much for damage.

So does the casing/plex door even though opened eat up alot of the warheads damage?
    No. Warheads just don't do what they're supposed to do.

The damage numbers people are posting are from small numbers of warheads that collide into the inside of the enemy ship, then explode multiple times from collision checks before Starmade deletes them.

Reaction score
    Such a shame. Cant wait for them to be fixed. I cant think of annother weapon more satisfying to successfully hit with.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Been messing with warheads a lot lately, managed to get a 19 block (5 warheads) torpedo to reliably do 1 million damage. Fortunately collisions seem to have gotten majorly improved in the most recent build so that warheads only collide multiple times if you force them too with a push beam. Unfortunately this now renders them worthless as their base damage is too low to be remotely useful as a weapon and they have a tendency to bounce without actually exploding.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Been messing with warheads a lot lately, managed to get a 19 block (5 warheads) torpedo to reliably do 1 million damage. Fortunately collisions seem to have gotten majorly improved in the most recent build so that warheads only collide multiple times if you force them too with a push beam. Unfortunately this now renders them worthless as their base damage is too low to be remotely useful as a weapon and they have a tendency to bounce without actually exploding.
    :(