Virus SKins

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I joined a random server and it seems every third person or so to join has a skin with a virus infected in it.
    I'm not even using anti-virus software. Just windows defender.

Minecraft never had this problem and it looks like you don't have the choice to disable skins. Client and Server should be able to disable skins. Or starmade should shutdown custom skin completely until this is fixed. I really doubt my windows defender is giving me false positives. I've read that the skin system has more problems too. Why is a system that doesn't work in the game. It should be disabled and removed until it's ready for player use. I know this isn't a full game but this is a huge security flaw and the 12 year old kids who are doing this don't know the consequences. The last thing I want is to get that 'new' virus that's going around. It zips and password protects all your files and holds them ransom!

Master1398

Keep calm and quit raging
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    It is just a false report. The skins have no viruses in it. Maybe your Firewall don´t allow some things over java.

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    There are no viruses, and the skin system is, while not as easy as Minecraft\'s, working pretty well.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Are you sure? I really doubt it\'s a false positive. Other players anti-virus programs were popping up too.

fire219

1200° Plasma
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I really doubt that they really were infected. But still, you should really be running AV software.

However, it would be nice if you would be able to provide one of the \"infected\" skins, for someone to check.

Master1398

Keep calm and quit raging
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Wait. Infected skin? Phew! As long as they aren´t \"infested\" like this:

i mean: look at him! Isn´t he beautiful *_*

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I fail to see how an image file can be infected...

Reaction score
    Did you really just quote the symptoms for the reamde virus?? I know I\'m just waking up and this gives me \"your still dreaming\" warnings.... but really? You know that the reamde is just a book plot tool... as since when can pictures get a virus? Given the hug amount of photos everywhere online... we\'re probably already all infected.

Reaction score
    Since when could Windows Defender tell someone that they had a virus?

Reaction score
    Windows Defender in Windows 8 is actually a capable anti-virus program. Microsoft Security Essentials is bundled with Windows Defender in Windows 8, and catches about the same amount of viruses other free anti-virus programs catch.

Windows 8 is the first time I\'ve ever used windows without any extra anti-virus installed, and so far, I haven\'t had any problems. I\'ve tried installing other programs to do scans, but they show up with nothing.

Reaction score
    AV software pops up alerts when their filters are too restrictive and/or peopel have no idea how to configure them properly. Virus alerts can come up for many reasons. While just about any file can be \"infected\" with metadata code, it doesn\'t mean dick unless there is the right software or script in Starmade to run the code, and that technique for \"superpacking\" has been around for at least four or five years (or longer). In the case of an \"infected\" PNG, Starmade would need to be running a specific string of code or script that actually accessed or used the hidden code in the PNG itself.

In cases of malicious code, the hacker\'s site itself is the one that runs the benign-looking code that calls the \"hidden\" metadata in the PNG. I seriously doubt the Starmade devs are hiding malicious scripting in the game code that calls secret info out of a PNG, especially when they have no real control about where the PNGs come from or what metadata, if any, is even in them. Virii are \"magic\". It\'s code, and it needs all the pieces to run.