Read by Council Unique Skybox color for each galaxy

Reaction score
    Currently every system has its own colors which share little to no similarity with those of the adjacent systems, Nor are the transitions very smooth either.

I propose that every galaxy when being generated randomly chooses a small set of colors and uses them for its systems, The separate colors could be blended together to make a fantastic nebula, Or seperated across the quadrants of the galaxy with color transition zone 3-4 systems thick in order to make it as smooth as possible.

Plus the skybox code has a flat bubbly look that doesnt look all that good, Perhaps that could be changed?

Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    It would be a nice effect to have systems close by each other to share similarities in their nebula but to limit it based on a galaxy may be a little much. A lot of people will fly around until they find a sector they find visually appealing and make their home there. If it was galaxy based you could get a spawning galaxy that only contains colors you don't find appealing and leaving the galaxy is tedious and more or less cuts you off from everybody else in the case of a server environment.

Reaction score
    It would be a nice effect to have systems close by each other to share similarities in their nebula but to limit it based on a galaxy may be a little much. A lot of people will fly around until they find a sector they find visually appealing and make their home there. If it was galaxy based you could get a spawning galaxy that only contains colors you don't find appealing and leaving the galaxy is tedious and more or less cuts you off from everybody else in the case of a server environment.
    I guess so...

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I guess so...
    Constellation style every chunk of 9-13 systems is assigned a colored nebula.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Maybe spawn galactic objects which define the skybox.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    What about assigning a skybox to 5x5x5 sector blocks, with a one sector overlap between each in which a cross-fade transition occurs?
    This would of course require having up to 8 skyboxes loaded at once for corner cases.
    Also, if we're to believe we are actually traveling into/through/out of various galactic phenomena it would be nice to have some relative movement of the skyboxes as we travel from sector to sector.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This would of course require having up to 8 skyboxes loaded at once for corner cases.
    Or perhaps not make it per X sectors box-size.

If you shift the boxes you could avoid that.
    Imagine a chess-board with all black fields being shifted one down. This would subtract 2 (each corner can have 2 less adjacent sky-box-regions).
    With a shift like with slabs, -0, -1, -2, -3, sectors in each tiled 2x2 section (top-down view) you only have 4 chunks joining at any point.

Reaction score
    hmmm. I'd like to see more color options for the backgrounds, but I'm not sure how this would affect game-play. Maybe making the colors or color range a configurable option in the server would be cool.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    No.
    1) have you ever actually loaded a 2nd galaxy while multiple sectors of the starter galaxy are still active?... eg - an actual multiplayer server rather than singleplayer? It is unbearably laggy on the server. Unbearably. It is so bad, we've actually banned going to other galaxies on the server where I play regularly.
    2) each system has it's own star. Each star has it's own color. Makes sense.
    3) I don't really want the devs trying to do something new, or some minor graphics thing right now. They need to optimize and bug squash, imo, not skybox.