Implemented Uber-fast build mode movement

BJammin

Part-Time Eldritch Abomination
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Hello friends of StarMade, I'm here to address an issue I'm sure a number of us builders have encountered at least once before:

Slow-ass "fast-movement" in build mode.

Now, for all of you players who prefer to build smaller ships (~100-500m in size) the current speed when holding 'shift' should feel just fine. I agree. But for anyone who has ventured into the realm of building ships much larger than that, it begins to feel increasingly slow.

All I suggest is a way to increase the speed of the "build-sprint" (or whatever you want to call it) when a player finds themselves in need of it. Perhaps some check-box/slider combo in the build mode menu could accomplish it. Regardless of how, this is a simple, time-saving feature that I (and I'm sure a number of other builders) would love to have in the game.

Reactions: spunkiethefirst
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    There is a setting in settings.cgf called BUILD_MODE_SHIFT_SPEED this allows you to change the speed at which you fly holding shift. You also used to be able to adjust it in game using chat by typing //BUILD_MODE_SHIFT_SPEED # but unfortunately this method has not worked since the gui overhauls.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    There is a setting in settings.cgf called BUILD_MODE_SHIFT_SPEED this allows you to change the speed at which you fly holding shift. You also used to be able to adjust it in game using chat by typing //BUILD_MODE_SHIFT_SPEED # but unfortunately this method has not worked since the gui overhauls.
    It must be relatively new, it wasn't in my settings.cgf. It either has to be added manually, or by deleting the settings.cgf and starting the game, which will create an up-to-date file.

BJammin

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Thanks! I'll be sure to try that out. However I was hoping for something that wouldn't involve editing server files (I don't need it super fast all the time, and not all players can access server files if they play multiplayer)

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Thanks! I'll be sure to try that out. However I was hoping for something that wouldn't involve editing server files (I don't need it super fast all the time, and not all players can access server files if they play multiplayer)
    Yeah I loved being able to adjust it on the fly. A build mode slider or drop down box would be great or at the very least fix the bug that prevents from pushing config changes with // commands

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I agree, a slider in the adv buildmode menu would be perfect.
    Agreed, we really need more control over this stuff without having to edit the config file, it's a freaking build block! And while we're on the topic of Build Mode control, would a teleport feature to go to the block you're looking at when in Build Mode be possible too?

BJammin

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Agreed, we really need more control over this stuff without having to edit the config file, it's a freaking build block! And while we're on the topic of Build Mode control, would a teleport feature to go to the block you're looking at when in Build Mode be possible too?
    ^This would almost be a better solution in some cases. Sort of like the /jump command, but for normal players to take advantage of in build mode.

Reactions: ltmauve and kiddan
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Yeah I loved being able to adjust it on the fly. A build mode slider or drop down box would be great or at the very least fix the bug that prevents from pushing config changes with // commands
    we need this function! please talk to the team on next meeting, my councillor

Reactions: Winterhome

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I am marking this as implemented, even though it isn't technically what you want. We can change build mode speed, but not in game. It's been broken for a while. When it is fixed however you will get your hands on a command that does exactly that.