Tutorial on logic-fired weapons?

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Would someone be interested in either hashing out the basics of using logic to fire weapons, such as weapons module attached to a ship and fired via remote?

Or point me towards a tutorial video on the topic?

Pease and sanks? :D

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Link a logic block to a weapon computer (eg button, activator, not, and, or, wireless modules, blah blah).
    Logic linked weapons are not available for manual fire.

High signal causes the weapon to fire.
    Missiles/pulse/Cannons will fire 1 shot.
    Beam style weapons will fire a burst (5 shots or ~2.5/tick time shots)

Weapons reload as normal, and will not fire again until reloading is complete.

Weapons will only fire in the direction they are facing, are non-aimable, and missiles non-lockable (so lock ons become dumbfires, swarmers still swarm though).

Reactions: nightrune

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Link a logic block to a weapon computer (eg button, activator, not, and, or, wireless modules, blah blah).
    Logic linked weapons are not available for manual fire.

High signal causes the weapon to fire.
    Missiles/pulse/Cannons will fire 1 shot.
    Beam style weapons will fire a burst (5 shots or ~2.5/tick time shots)

Weapons reload as normal, and will not fire again until reloading is complete.

Weapons will only fire in the direction they are facing, are non-aimable, and missiles non-lockable (so lock ons become dumbfires, swarmers still swarm though).
    Oh I know about the missiles not being lockable, and since the weapons will be a module, they'll be aimable by moving the ship they're attached to.

I know that you set up a remote on the module, and a wireless link in the main ship.

I've just gotten through a tutorial to set up a clock, so it's only a matter of figuring out how long the weapon needs to reload.

Got a salvager working with it. :)

Is there any more info I need?

Thank you for your help so far. :)

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    not really,

just check the weapons load/reload times in either the ship struct or weapon menu first before linking it.

You can fire as many high signals at them as you like, even while reloading so normally clocks don't really matter unless you want to be conservative with clock signals.

Captain Tankman

Cake Build Server Staff
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    that way you can also do (limited) mining turrets. make a turret with a small non-damaging weapon (I prefer a stop beam), and hook a salvaging array on that turret to a clock.
    Downside: cargo doesn't transfer down docked entities and the AI only targets asteroid's nav markers, so you have to move the ship around

Reactions: Gasboy

Captain Tankman

Cake Build Server Staff
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    That's a bug with rail turret axes, so mining turrets should work at some point. Don't hold your breath, though.
    I'm not concerened about the cargo, but the AI aiming. As long as AI only targets the nav markers, even when there's no more blocks to harvest, mining turrets won't be effective at all

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I'm not concerened about the cargo, but the AI aiming. As long as AI only targets the nav markers, even when there's no more blocks to harvest, mining turrets won't be effective at all
    Unless you make a big enough turret

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I think the nicest application is being able to fire multiple computers at the same time, and therefore multiple outputs without power cost multipliers, great application for cannon supported weapons. Shift+V to link logic output to a whole wall of primary computers and you can have all the waffles.

The other nice thing, while not necessarily a damage buff, it's a huge quality of life, that's automating & sequencing usually long cooldown weapons, like missiles (rapid firing & full speed distractors), Swarmers, cannon-pulse/cannon-beam machineguns etc.

Obvious downside for these sort of weapons is you're not hitting anything even remotely fast or far away with these :(
    But what you do hit is potentially going to take near pre-HP system levels of block damage if their shields are dropped.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Sounds like a good StarMade Tech video.
    Hopefully I'll get some time within the next week or two