Turrets category in the Community Content area

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Pretty much a one liner there. I'm not 100% certain it's really needed or if people are actually making and submitting any turrets that aren't spesifically made for a spesific ship and never ever fit anywhere else, but I'd like to check out some turret designs without having to spawn rather large ships that carry them... and there's at least a few turret blueprints in there masquerading as ships.

Shouldn't be too difficult to add anyway, right?

Reactions: Ixalite and Lidren
    Reaction score
    I think splitting the Community Content into types of ships ie (shuttle, fighter, miner, carrier, turret, pirate etc) would make finding what you want on there much easier. That said, this thread would be more appropriate in Site Suggestions.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I think splitting the Community Content into types of ships ie (shuttle, fighter, miner, carrier, turret, pirate etc) would make finding what you want on there much easier. That said, this thread would be more appropriate in Site Suggestions.
    Good point about site suggestions area, I didn't realise we had one... had to look through the list twice before I saw it. I reported my earlier post so hopefully it gets moved.

Anyway, I suppose having some sort of size filter would be handy, maybe a few presets or even open field for minimum and maximum mass, but then again that might be a bit more work to add... I like your idea of purpose based classification too, though things tend to go fuzzier the more you try to classify them. In this respect StarMade ships are like swords, they just... are, and then a few hundred years later people try to classify them when the builder really just though, a-HA, this one will beat THAT one! And it's really pretty too! MWAhahahahaa!

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    From what I can tell, Additional tags and such for CC is something that the Web team has looked into and Duke has voiced support for. Would be a long process of adding and getting the right tags though.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    True, tagging stuff does take a lot of work but then again that's not a big issue if they aren't tagged centrally. People who think their content is still relevant and want it found will update their own stuff, and people who upload new stuff will do it when they upload, so it'll get mostly done without much admin work in a couple of months probably. Means that first few weeks the tag based search is a bit weak, but it'll get there.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    True, tagging stuff does take a lot of work but then again that's not a big issue if they aren't tagged centrally.
    The forums only currently support 1 tag; basically the same kind of prefix tags that mark suggestions as planned/rejected/etc. When they add it to CC, I dont think they want to use that, as a single tag would not really help us find a ship. That involves messing with the way the forums work in some way, it's a thing that might take a month or two to add in at least.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    That might be a little troublesome in some ways though. The definitions behind Corvette, Cruiser, Destroyer, etc and what you mentioned differ from person to person because sci-fi media in general has differences between another and sometimes even contradictions among itself.

I think there can be a reliable distinction between Combat, Utility, and Non-Combat Ships along with Turrets and the already existing Station though. The underlying distinction between Utility and Non-Combat ships would be Utility ships have primarily a utility system as their focused function. A Non-Combat ship designates anything lacking a utility or weapon system. Like those racing ships for instance, or a luxury ship purely made with aesthetics in mind.

Maybe take this a step farther, make distinct sections for Player Creations and Roleplaying/Replica ships, each of them using the above categories as sub-categories for further organization with user-created tags for series of origin.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Well, it should've gained some. Can't just ditch a good idea because everyone else is wrong.

Anyway, with this rail update I think turret designs are becoming a bit more important, since you can't just filter-replace thrusters with shield capacitors on a ship and get perfectly passable turret...

Reaction score
    That might be a little troublesome in some ways though. The definitions behind Corvette, Cruiser, Destroyer, etc and what you mentioned differ from person to person because sci-fi media in general has differences between another and sometimes even contradictions among itself.

I think there can be a reliable distinction between Combat, Utility, and Non-Combat Ships along with Turrets and the already existing Station though. The underlying distinction between Utility and Non-Combat ships would be Utility ships have primarily a utility system as their focused function. A Non-Combat ship designates anything lacking a utility or weapon system. Like those racing ships for instance, or a luxury ship purely made with aesthetics in mind.

Maybe take this a step farther, make distinct sections for Player Creations and Roleplaying/Replica ships, each of them using the above categories as sub-categories for further organization with user-created tags for series of origin.
    Nah, the whether or not the ships exactly match up to what they're tagged as isn't really that big an issue. If you decide you wanna grab some new pirate fighters, check those tags out and see a 500m long mining ship you'll pretty quickly see it isn't what you're looking for. The categorization just speeds up the process is all.