Turret Priority

Would you agree with this? If you have any opinions please leave a post after.

• Yes

Votes: 10 90.9%
    • No

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

Atheu

Gone but not forgotten
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I've been doing a little testing with turrets lately, and noticed that the "any" mode is not very reliable when it comes to effectiveness, I.E. decides to go after turrets instead of the main ship, when main ship is more prefered as the target. I propose there be a sub selection for the any mode, or at least add new modes for this purpose:

1) Any - Targets any target either the turrets, docked vessels, or the mother ship - currently the only option
    2)Docked - Targets docked entities (Fighters/Turrets)
    3)Mothership - Prioritizes a Primary Ship as the target.

Leave any (constructive) suggestions below of how else this could be improved.

EDIT Making a List here of other suggestions from other players in this thread

NaStral
    - IFF System for select target mode. (this has plagued me a few times, don't know why i didn't mention it in my OP)
    -Turret Grouping

Benevolent27
    - Docked - Targets any docked entity that is on a rail
    - Turret - Self explanitory targets turrets over docked entities.

- when mothership is killed if mothership option is turrned on, switch to another ship, if another ship is not present, switch to turrets.

- advanced firing mode, examples:
    - Switch between targets on every shot
    - fire until 75% hull
    - fire until armor is 0%
    Gmodism
    -combining a Target and a Prioritize system

Last edited:
    Reactions: CaptainTaz

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    ...or leave them set to "selected target" and add a hotbar button to turn turrets on and off.

Atheu

Gone but not forgotten
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    ...or leave them set to "selected target" and add a hotbar button to turn turrets on and off.
    this doesn't work if you are not there, and the turret is docked to a station. and AFAIK you can't turn ai on with logic yet

also selected target doesn't work with anything that is BVR

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Gotcha. Personally, I'd like to see both options implemented.

What is BVR?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Dr. Whammy
    In addition the Bobby needs an IFF(Identify Friend or Foe toggle) so when your targeting a non hostile target, the turret will not open fire automatically. Additionally a tool to assign turrets to groups, then be able to switch AI settings from the core would be ideal.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I've been doing a little testing with turrets lately, and noticed that the "any" mode is not very reliable when it comes to effectiveness, I.E. decides to go after turrets instead of the main ship, when main ship is more prefered as the target. I propose there be a sub selection for the any mode, or at least add new modes for this purpose:

1) Any - Targets any target either the turrets, docked vessels, or the mother ship - currently the only option
    2)Docked - Targets docked entities (Fighters/Turrets)
    3)Mothership - Prioritizes a Primary Ship as the target.

Leave any suggestions below of how else this could be improved.
    I think this is the bare minimum that StarMade should do for turret AI, but I would agree with this implementation. I'd say further separate "docked" though to "turrets" and "docked." Reason being is you wouldn't want your turrets to be shooting at interior docked entities if your intent is to have your turret take out their turrets. Also, I think these should be priorities, not limits. For example, let's say a turret is set to "mothership" but all motherships are overheating, but attached entities with turrets on them are still firing, so these turrets would then switch to attacking the attached entities/turrets.

I'd also like to see some more advanced attack patterns, such as giving the ability for a turret to switch targets after each attack (ie. ION blaster). Or perhaps it will attack till the entity it is selecting has 75% hull integrity. Or perhaps till the entity it is attacking has 0% armor value. This would allow better specialization of turrets.

Reaction score
    I want a double setting:
    Target:
    Ships
    Astronauts
    Selected target
    Missiles
    Combined (ALL/multiple targets)
    AND:
    Prioritize:
    highest block count
    highest block count