Turret Designs?

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Having issues coming up with good turret designs for the amount of space I'm working it and always end up making to turret far larger than I want it. Here's the spaces I'm trying to work with on my station,3x3x3, 5x5x5, 9x9x9, and 20x20x20.

Any ideas that would fit in these spaces and still be good for killing targets? Also working on a Deep Space Gun that can shoot several sectors away that is 50x50x50 or so and might get bigger depending on what I'm up to.

Not having issues building turrets, it more like designing ones that don't balloon to sizes far larger than what I want. :(

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'm not sure a 'good' 3^3 design is possible. This is the minimum size to fit the minimum blocks for a turret. My attempts are always ugly as sin and can't be used for anything more then point defense. 5^3 turrets aren't much better, but you can at least polish them a bit.

After that, the question becomes 'what do you consider good?' You are going to be running into trade-offs with damage, looks, accuracy, shields, power, and armor.

I suggest you go to the content section and search for turrets.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    In the case of any turret I'm going for as compact as I can with as many barrels as I can. Yes my turrets are as ugly as you can make them right now too. :p

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Turret bobby AI all focus fire so every barrel will be aiming at the same block if controlled by bobby AI.

Range is now determined by weapon and slave type. Not number of blocks which is an older weapon mechanic. Longest are all beam slaves.
    Missile/Beam 3.2x sector size
    Cannon/beam 2.0x sector size
    Beam/Beam 1.5x sector size
    a weapon made with 1/1 blocks will still have the same range as a weapon made with 20000/20000 blocks.

As for good for killing targets it really depends on what your facing. Small targets are hard to hit with cannons and beams so you want missiles or large numbers of turrets to generate hits against small targets. Against big targets you need to use large turrets to overwhelm the shielding.
    Turrets also generate lag for collision detection. So my dreadnought that I'm building doesn't have massive numbers of turrets or it overloads my computer.

A way to maximise turret space is have the base and hinge the vertical rotator on the back of the base. That way the entire top section of the turret can rotate up giving you a lot of room for blocks. Use multiple parts to generate power with my main dreadnought turrets the base and the body each generate 900k e/sec and the turret uses all of that power.

Have a mass enhancer on the main body to cover the total mass of the largest turret and have a mass enhancer on the body of each turret that can handle the mass of the elevating part to have the fastest rotation.