Turret aiming but not firing?

Reaction score
    So I posted this thread on the steam forums, but that place is almost completely dead. Thought I'd ask at the source to see if the experts had any ideas.

So I made a test turret just to get used to turrets and it appears to be aiming at the pirate i spawned in, but not firing.

a few screenshots.

the turret -
    turret test
    A Screenshot of StarMade
    By: Dex

ai settings -
    ai settings
    A Screenshot of StarMade

in cockpit (turret follows target but doesn't fire -

turret not firing, but aiming towards 'pirate'
    A Screenshot of StarMade

manual fire works and is in range -

turret fires manually, so it's definitely working and in range
    A Screenshot of StarMade

unless some mechanic has changed recently from the videos i've seen, this should be working. anything obvious i'm missing? I have a faction and the mothership is my faction just incase that would be something.

Any help would be appreciated! Loving this game, but can't figure out how to defend myself.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Spawn a core in shooting range of the turret add a bobby ai and turn it on.

Now look in your factions menu "make one if you are not in one" and select Neutral is Hostile. The turret should fire at it.

Reaction score
    Spawn a core in shooting range of the turret add a bobby ai and turn it on.

Now look in your factions menu "make one if you are not in one" and select Neutral is Hostile. The turret should fire at it.
    checking now

edit: checked, everything went red, and they track the enemy ships, but won't fire. They fire just fine when I'm in the turret though manually.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    You may need to add a faction module to your own ship and set it to owner if you were not in a faction before. So the ship and turret get your faction flag. Since you are using a faction command to set hostile.

Edit:

When you fire do you hit it? So are you in range since beam is very short range. Change the weapon to a guided missile. Missile computer + Damagebeam Computer add one module to each. We only want to see it work at this point.

The turret has enough energy since it fires when you control it. It tracks so it is not build the wrong way around.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    You may need to add a faction module to your own ship and set it to owner if you were not in a faction before. So the ship and turret get your faction flag. Since you are using a faction command to set hostile.

Edit:

When you fire do you hit it? So are you in range since beam is very short range. Change the weapon to a guided missile. Missile computer + Damagebeam Computer add one module to each. We only want to see it work at this point.

The turret has enough energy since it fires when you control it. It tracks so it is not build the wrong way around.
    get this, it's a power issue! I added a power module on the turret and they were firing away happily! the weird thing is, when I'm in the turret, it'll fire manually, but when I'm not in the turret, it doesn't seem to register the energy of the mothership. Even if I'm driving the mothership, the energy isn't getting to the turrets. Any clue?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    The barrel part of the turret needs enough energy stored to fire. Your turret was small so i figured it didn't need any. It does share power with the main ship it's docked to. Nice work you now have working turrets!

Reactions: DexterousGecko
    Reaction score
    I guess I didn't think I needed to put energy on the turret itself, i figured it would draw the energy from the ship, but it doesn't seem to. I guess it's fine until I figure out what is going on. Now I just have to find a good setup for a turret.
    [doublepost=1471531954,1471530466][/doublepost]Well, this thread can be closed...learned something valuable today. noticed my power output was sitting at 100k, while i only had 50k power. Put enough power capacitors to jump to 250k and voila! turrets firing on their own lol

Thanks for putting up with my noobiness!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I guess I didn't think I needed to put energy on the turret itself, i figured it would draw the energy from the ship, but it doesn't seem to. I guess it's fine until I figure out what is going on. Now I just have to find a good setup for a turret.
    [doublepost=1471531954,1471530466][/doublepost]Well, this thread can be closed...learned something valuable today. noticed my power output was sitting at 100k, while i only had 50k power. Put enough power capacitors to jump to 250k and voila! turrets firing on their own lol

Thanks for putting up with my noobiness!
    If your weapons are less than 50 K usually you don't need to provide any power. As Batavium said your ships shares power with the rest of its docked entities. You need to look at what other system are drawing power such as shields, any effects, scanner, jammers....

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    nvm, I had the page open too long before writing the post.

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I have an even weirder one...

Do any of you know why larger AI missile turrets don't fire in the same direction that they're pointing and vise versa?
    As you can see, the turret on the left is firing at a wide offset from its point of aim. Meanwhile, the one on the right is aiming right at the target but won't fire.

From what I've seen, this mostly happens with my larger AI missile turrets.

Missile glitch.jpg