Turn boosters

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    There is always one problem with making large ships. And that's the turning power. While it makes sense for it to be slow to speed up/slow down, it's enfuriating to be turning so slowly, making it near impossible to fly on that alone. And there is a very simple and fair fix to this.

Turn boosters. Basically very similar to engine blocks, but more focused on spinning and turning the ship rather than forward movement. The engine works based on which side you put it on. For example, if you put a turn booster on the left side of the ship, it will turn a bit faster to the right, and vice versa for up, down, left right. Any booster on any side would contribute to spin agility. Each booster's effectiveness would lower the larger the mass of the ship, so for giant warships you would need quite a few lining the ship to get it to affectively turn.

I take the time to write this because while I like making large ships with good battle ability, it's near impossible to target, say, an Isanth, or a fighter, or even a small frigate, if your ship is big enough. Something that the ship can't easily target, but is too well shielded/armored for turrets to get the job done in any acceptable time frame.

Thoughts, suggestions? Anything appreciated to improve the idea, as well as it's chances to getting implemented into the game!

Koloss_Meshuggah

Resident Wall Flower
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I came up with the same idea after I first started playing. I don\'t see how this could be hard to implement, the option for look sensitivity does the same thing, it would just be controlled by the number of turning blocks instead. Large ships should still have to have turning momentum though, to keep them from being just overpowered fighters.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    It\'s all a balancing act. Big ships need to have defined specialties and roles that they can do and smaller ships can\'t (Like having 10,000 of every useable block). If we make them capable of absolutely everything, though, it ruins the whole point of having anything smaller, even just for transport purposes. Limiting the maneuverability of larger vessels is necessary in order to specialize them and give a purpose for other sizes of spacecraft.

This is just my opinion, but I think that the fun of having a huge behemoth of a ship should be in having a ton of toys to use, not in zipping around like a nimble fighter.

But... The current thruster/turning situation is unfavorable. I believe that a ship should be able to specialize in either high speed or a better turning rate. The base turning rate also could be a bit more mellow.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    @MrFURB

I do agree that it\'s a balancing act, and I don\'t believe that large ships should be able to turn on a dime or speed up massively. That would undermine the balancing system. However, going anything above a very small fighter makes turning a huge hassle, and makes even mundane manuevers and turns just to follow directions a pain in the arse. I\'m not saying to increase it hugely, I\'m just hoping that you could give the turning speed a little more oompf with some expensive and well placed manuevering thrusters. Besides, the systems can always be shot off in combat, crippling the ships manuevering abilities. And only a relatively skilled builder could really implement them effectively on a ship, since you\'d have to carefully place them along the hull in order to actually get them to properly work.