Transformer Block

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Basically I'm talking about a block that can save two other block types within itself and switch between them on command. For example, you could have an array of salvage lasers than can change into antimatter cannons at the press of a button, or hull that turns into extra thrusters for an acceleration boost. You might even decrease the weight and profile of a ship for easier turning and maneuvering. The possibilities are endless.

Here's how it might work:

First, there's the Switch-State Computer, which acts as both controller and block storage. It is identical in basic function to other computers, and you can access it through the weapon (T) menu to assign it to a number key. Also, you can connect it to other computers to control weapons that might be held in it, similar to other computers' connection to the ship core. When selected, a GUI opens with two storage slots, a number indicating how many Transformers are in use, and two spaces where you can input numbers. It would probably look something like this:

100 Transformers

[[ ]] [[ ]]

[50] [1.5] (Apologies for the cheap text drawing.)

The storage slots are where the player puts the blocks to be transformed. There must be as many or more blocks in each slot as there are Transformer blocks on the client ship in order to function. Leaving one slot empty will allow you to toggle between empty space and your other block of choice, similar to Plexdoors. However, an invisible Transform block would not add to your ships weight, as long as it remains in that state.

The two numbers on the bottom are variables set by the player. The first one controls how many blocks are transformed at once, and the second determines the delay in seconds between each wave of transformed blocks.

The order in which blocks are transformed could be one of several possibilies I can think of. Either they would be randomized, or in an expanding sphere centered on the computer or ship core, or in descending order from top to bottom, port to starboard. Go for whatever is easiest to code, of course.

And now we have the Switch-State Transformer block, in all of its glory.

The Transformer can be placed anywhere on your ship (or station) and oriented with the advanced build tool, just like weapons. When placed, they take the appearance and function of whatever block is in the active slot of your Switch-State Computer. They can be connected to seperate computers if desired, again just like weapons.

There are two measures I've thought of to prevent Transformers from being overpowered. First, Transformers would have to consume large amounts of power, and transform in increments. This is why I added the two variables in the GUI mentioned above. They determine how fast a transformation takes effect, to prevent all power being spent at once.

The second measure is that a single Switch-State Computer and its set of Transformers cannot hold a mix of more than two block types. You won't turn a ship with all three types of missiles into one with antimatter cannons and salvage lasers, not all at once anyway. Two block types per computer, no more. If you want a more complex transformation, use seperate computers and assign them all to buttons.

For the sake of easier coding, blocks that can not be used in a Transformer would probably have to include the following: Ship Core, all computers, Build Block, Bobby AI, Faction Module, PlexStorage, PlexDoor(what's the point anyway?) all non-placeable items, and all blocks with more than six possible orientations such as hull corners and edges. Docking and Turret Docking modules and enhancers can be used, code permitting, because some people have requested the ablity to undock all of their turrets/drones at once.

I know this is a lot to code, but I feel it's worth it for such a powerful feature. I do hope I've thought this idea all the way through, but if you think I've overlooked something important, let me know.

P.S. The inspiration for Transformers actually came from pistons in Minecraft. Of course, it'd be a very different system, more in line, I think, with StarMade's look, feel and gameplay.

Reaction score
    While it would be especially great combined with advanced AI and block linking (allowing turret/drone transformers) it does sound immensely abusable.

Transform blocks definitely need to add to your ship mass even if empty - probably double when fully loaded ; they do already provide volume efficiency , after all. If not , you would have pocket stealth fighters buzzing around unseen until a victim is found , then unloading massive AMC arrays from a blind spot. Not reasonable.

Note that stealth reconfigurations would be the main use of that block regardless. Stealth fighters have a lot of extra power when uncloaked , and so could trade generators for shields and guns in combat.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    So you could turn a 1500 block ship into a missile array that could one shot planets.

NO just NO.