Tractor Beam (Deprecated)

Reaction score
    It would be nice if you could add functionality to the docking port to emit a tractor beam. This would require you to attach pull effect modules to the docking port. the strength of the pull effect would be based on how many modules are connected to the docking port. once activated, you would be able to enter the pull effect computer to activate the tractor beam, and your view would switch to the docking port. the tractor beam would pull any ship towards the docking port, and once it is close enough the targeted ship would auto dock to the port. However, the tractor beam would be incapable of pulling a ship faster than it can escape.

EDIT:
    Due to the changes to the docking system, this implementation of a tractor beam would be useless, the functionality would be no different than a pull effect on a Beam weapon.

Last edited:
    Reactions: MacThule

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Pretty useless tractor beam if it can be escapable so easily. It should be based on a mass ratio. The more the ship is comprised of a tractor beam, the harder it would be for an enemy ship to escape. 5% or more of a ship renders it a perfect beam that ships cannot escape. The mass between ships determines the speed it which it works.

Aside from that, having the game correctly position a ship to dock without knowing specifically which dock to use or how to orient the ship without snapping is a big issue with this suggestion.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think this would be awesome for drone retrieval.

It would be nice if you could somehow link them all up to a single button on the hotbar, and then fly into a cloud of drones, pulling random drones into docking ports.

Reaction score
    5% or more of a ship renders it a perfect beam that ships cannot escape. The mass between ships determines the speed it which it works.
    The pull effect modules would be slaved to the docking port. instead of 5% ship mass, you need one pull module for each block of area you have your docking port set for. This would make it much harder, but still possible for players to capture other ships, since the docking ports would take up twice as much space. I don't want older players on servers just being able to tow small ships wherever they want, and still have 10M shields with 1M regen, as well as a missile that can one-shot a planet.(I know i am exaggerating, since at that point using twice the area for a tractoring docking port is negligible, but you get my point.) However, this method would allow you to design docking ports specifically for your ships, that wouldn't have twice the volume of your ship.

Aside from that, having the game correctly position a ship to dock without knowing specifically which dock to use or how to orient the ship without snapping is a big issue with this suggestion.
    This is why you would slave the pull effect to the docking ports, it would just use the same mechanics that are currently used for docking, except reversed, the docking port would attach to the ship core. It would be slightly more complicated however, since it would have to work regardless of the target ships' orientation. what i was thinking was once a ship is close enough, say 50 meters, the game would simulate a docking beam from the core to the docking port, resulting in a normal dock.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1427896155,1427895997][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I think this would be awesome for drone retrieval.0.
    That was what made me think of this, it is so time consuming to go out to even just 10 different ships and dock them.

G

GDPR 302420

You can already do this
    Damage Beam + AMC + Pull Effect

This Suggestion is already implemented