Tractor and Inversion Beams!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Two words:

Tractor

Beams

A tool with which would allow players you pull themselves and their target closer together.

Notice how i said that they pulled themselves towards each other.

The concept here is that an object with a small mass is going to end up pulling itself toward a more massive or stationary object, thus allowing it to speed up faster, close the distrance on a target faster, or change vector alot faster.

For large obejcts this would also be quite useful. Say you have a Battleship, and its primary defence system is Plasma Turrets. Now, while Plasma Turrets are very useful, up until a certain range, at which point its like throwing waterballoons filled with urine. Of course, because you dont want your enemy to just keep on shooting at you from a distance away, and your ship is not neccisarily the fastest or most energy efficent in the universe, you could have a Tractor beam turret that can pull smallships towards you, allowing your ship's turrets to whip them out.

Of course, combat isnt the only application for this. Tractor Beams could also aid in docking, as well as pulling a ship who had its thrusters damaged or was abandandoned away from its current location, perhaps as a captured ship, perhaps for easier salvage.

Now, because there are tractor beams, there should be of course Inversion Beams.

They are effectivelly the opposite of the Tractor Beam. They push away instead of pull. This would allow massive ships to possibly cause smaller ships to spinout with a large enough beam, and allow smaller ships to stop on a dime.

But hey, thats just my idea, please tell me what you guys think

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Epic! With my advanced plexdoors idea they can be combined to a shutter opening and then a tractor beam behind it pulling it into the shutter then closing and then people running torwards it and raiding it.

Like in the death star.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I wouldn\'t agree to the aspect of using them for War, but instead of using them on a Ship to help dock them / move them into placement, and get them unstuck. The way to make them help docking it were a person can instead of using the Ship to dock can use a Docking block to hit a Cockpit or something and pull the ship to the dock, allowing for better co-operation between players to and not always have to ram a Docking block to make sure you hit it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I was more giving examples of how it could be used, rather than its specific purpose. Its a tool, what the players do with it is up to them