Towing/Tractor Beams

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I've often found myself having destroyed an enemy ship and not having time to collect the ships parts itself, nor do I have anyone to pilot the half dead derelict ship back to base. So adding a sort of towing/Tractor beam block working like a tether, then this could make it much easier to haul defeated enemys back to study, take apart, collect materials, what have you and overall improve the process of material collection. It could effectively add Asteroid hauling and everything to the game.

Limitations:

A ship cannot be towed unless the core is overheating or is empty. preventing trolling.

A space station can only be towed by something greater then it's own mass or with thurst enough to tow, or possibly entirely eliminating the towing of a station.

Requires a large amount of power depending on mass of ship being towed, a specific amount of power is removed from your ship to be dedicated to the tether/extra power dedicated to engines, regained once ship is released.

-----------

A major reason for this addition would be as a cleanup effect, my PDC (Planetary Defense Cannons) Often send Pirate ships crashing down to the surface, or leave them floating trapped in orbit above my planet. This results in the tedious process of piloting/dismantling these ships, while storing them somewhere designated could be easier. If anyone has additions or thoughts on this piece, please comment below. I've only thought about the main idea of a tether/towing concept, further input is appreciated.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Towing stations would definetely be overpowered.So, A good way to implement a tractor beam is to have it act as a weapon and make it effectively dock with the ship a distance that is proportional to the projecting and docking ships\' lengths,widths, and/or heights. This docking effect would help server admin clear an atmosphere of ships to reduce server lag and make it so there is no collision or speed gltiching. The tractor beam would act like other weapon/utility system and make the ship it can tractor/dock proportional to the size of the tractor beam blocks. The docking area the tractor beam could project would increase incrementally with the number of tractor beam blocks placed. The energy usage would be the directly proportional to the size of the ship being docked, and the energy usage would increase/decrease proportional to the speed of ship divided by the max speed. There could also be increased energy usage based on the degree of turning along the x,y,and z axes.