Suggestion Too many non-unified news sources

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The StarMade News forum section, the News page at the overall website, and the Forums->Home page all feature various game-related news, none of which is synchronized in any way. I dunno how it works behind the hood, but it would be kind of cool if all of those mirrored each other.

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    I concur! If you notice, the StarMade news (Tab at the top) is technically not on the same website as the forums. I found the news easier to follow on the old site, it was in one place, and I saw if there was new news on the homepage whenever I visited. But here, if I want to see the news, I have to remember and then go to the news page, and then discover (most of the time) that there is nothing new. I used to watch carefully, and know within minutes of hanging out on the site if there was a news update, now I just try to remember to check every so often.

While I think most of the design of the new site is an improvement, I think the news is not. I agree that I would like it more unified, but even more so I want it to be easy to access. I want to know if there is a new news post, and I want it to be quick and easy process. I also cannot comment on the StarMade news (the tab again) unless I log in with another site? I want to use this account for my StarMade stuff, nothing else, and I'm not going to go through the process of logging in with yet another site just so I can post a comment. It's not worth it to me.

As I'm majoring in Graphic design in school, I know that it is a goal to make things easy to access, simple, beautiful, and functional when designing. Part of the goal of typography (setting and designing type) is to make it so readers, if possible, don't have to read. If type is well designed you've read it before knowing you read it. It's effortless. So while I may be nitpicking, it stands out to me as so much more seems well designed and is becoming easier to use by the day. If I had some way of knowing when there was a new news post, or it was someplace where I always look (The community members are on the forums the most I believe, and while other pages may be visited, I feel the forums and chat are hang-out type locations where people spend more of their time. Especially where regular members spend most of their time.)

I apologize for the rant, but it was something that nagging at me in the back of my mind. I feel this site is a great improvement from the previous one, and I feel like once the chat is finished, and if this issue were in some way resolved then it would be golden, finished, as near to perfection as I could hope for. These are all my personal opinions of course, and I don't wish to be too harsh on the people who have put so much of their time, effort, and wonderful ideas into making this site the wonderful place that it is!

TL;DR I agree, I wish the news was less "all over the place" and a more solid source where I could know more quickly what was going on. I also wish for the news in the news tab to be somehow more accessible, or let me know when something came up. I'm on the forums every day, I've noticed people agreeing how addictive these forums are, and I think if many people spend most of their time on the forums/chat while on site that the news should be most visible or easy to access from the place where most people look anyway. The News tab news issue got to me first as a learning graphic designer: just because it means I have to make new habits, check where I otherwise wouldn't, and then usually I'm not rewarded with new information - while before it felt effortless. (at least to me!)

Reaction score
    I'm in the same boat. When the website first went up, a lot of things and their places were confusing to me. I've since gotten used to it, but new users surely experience the same. Two different news areas. The forums seem to have many features that should be elsewhere on the website (Two "home" buttons for instance). The problem is that the issue may not be fixable considering the forums and the regular site are two different things.

But yes, I think any news from developers or staff should be in one area, preferably one tab to click on.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    I have already told schema about this, and this is what he replied with

So I assume that they are doing working on a unified news system, it just isn't done yet.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    For the unified system, we're still working on the news part of the site as that is something that both sites do (but the forums have more news).

For telling when there is a new news post on the forums (and subsequently the main website), I am implementing a system to display that.

Also, thread moved to Site Support.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    For the unified system, we're still working on the news part of the site as that is something that both sites do (but the forums have more news).

For telling when there is a new news post on the forums (and subsequently the main website), I am implementing a system to display that.

Also, thread moved to Site Support.
    So which news feed should we be watching if we want just the update news from schema?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I would only wish there was better comments system in the news tab on the main page as for now it looks pretty dead :)

And btw, i like the divided news for the game and community. It looks less messy for the cost of 2 more clicks.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    Yes, but checking 2 separate sites for news from the same team about the same thing is not nice.