Thrust

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    we should not be able to measure thrust because, in space all motion is relative.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    You can measure it relative to the closest star, though it's rotation might cause some trouble calculating it...

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Well, the Thrust number is more or less the force your ship can provide, 500 000 thrust => 500 000 KNewtons of thrust for example.

Acceleration = Force / Mass

Acceleration would be constant outside a gravity well but yeah, in game there is a dampening effect for balancing reasons, including a max speed.

Reaction score
    *sighs*

Starmade is not realistic. You should not be able to breathe on planets, see plants on ice planets, have FTL nor have artificial gravity.

BTW real life spacecraft have spedometers.

Reaction score
    You... uh.... you.... DO know that earth is a planet.... right...?
    On the starmade planets, the Goldilocks planets are ok though. And Earth isn't a planet, that's a stupid conspiracy theory, like the Earth revolving around the sun and it being round.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    No, just no. Not being able to see your thrust is stupid. It will leave players guessing how well they built there ship, and that really isn't fun.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    we should not be able to measure thrust because, in space all motion is relative.
    How exactly does that affect measurement of thrust?

Taking thrust to be the forward force behind acceleration, can be found easily enough. For example using chemical rockets we know the mass of the propellent and can likely figure out the speed it exits the engine and we also know how long it takes for the fuel to leave the engine. So lets say the fuel starts at 0 ms^-1 and is accelerated to say 30,000ms^-1, mass of fuel is 5kg. Takes 12 seconds to burn. Force = (change in momentum)/time so we can find out that.

But newtons third law kicks in. The force object A impresses of b is equal to the force object b impresses on A. Ie each action has an equal and opposite reaction. We probably know the mass of our own ship and in pushing all those burnt up chemicals out we get forward thrust. Which I've shown in paragraph A can be calculated.

Now I just think you've confused yourself. In space all motion is relative true, but that means we cannot measure our velocity. (How fast are we in relation to what?) not thrust (which leads to acceleration which we can measure).
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    To be clear I'm not suggesting speed be hidden because that'd be a huge pain, like really.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This makes me wonder if relative velocity is currently being calculated and can be shown. It would be neat to see the relative velocity of ships in relation to you as they zip by. Unfortunately, it seems like way too much geometry calculation at one of the most calculation-intensive part of the game: when ships are in close proximity. However, if it's already being calculated, it would be fun to see, next to the diamond indicator (or next to whatever the new HUD uses to replaces it.)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    How exactly does that affect measurement of thrust?

Taking thrust to be the forward force behind acceleration, can be found easily enough. For example using chemical rockets we know the mass of the propellent and can likely figure out the speed it exits the engine and we also know how long it takes for the fuel to leave the engine. So lets say the fuel starts at 0 ms^-1 and is accelerated to say 30,000ms^-1, mass of fuel is 5kg. Takes 12 seconds to burn. Force = (change in momentum)/time so we can find out that.

But newtons third law kicks in. The force object A impresses of b is equal to the force object b impresses on A. Ie each action has an equal and opposite reaction. We probably know the mass of our own ship and in pushing all those burnt up chemicals out we get forward thrust. Which I've shown in paragraph A can be calculated.

Now I just think you've confused yourself. In space all motion is relative true, but that means we cannot measure our velocity. (How fast are we in relation to what?) not thrust (which leads to acceleration which we can measure).
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    To be clear I'm not suggesting speed be hidden because that'd be a huge pain, like really.
    I know, the phrase came up in stargate, and I created a thread using just the quote, but honestly in a sifi game, we should be able to measure stuff in something better than KMH.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    I know, the phrase came up in stargate, and I created a thread using just the quote, but honestly in a sifi game, we should be able to measure stuff in something better than KMH.
    There is no better way for a game like starmade.
    Every sector is stationary, it does not move so we can use that as a point of reference to measure our speed. the Km/h indicator will be changed into m/s (since that is easier to do math with) but it actually already IS m/s. It's just a typo they made.

Now, the ability to select a ship and switch to target velocity (similar to kerbal space program) that shows you your velocity (+ vector indicator) relative to your target's velocity would be nice but not needed.

On earth we use surface velocity which is needed since earth rotates, orbits the sun, solar system moves too and our whole galaxy is moving too!

I don't really see the point in this discussion. Is this about speed in starmade, its indicator, how thrust is measured,...?