Thrust-impairing weapon mechanics

Reaction score
    Something people involved in faction PvP may have noticed , is that there is no way to commit the enemy to an engagement - players can match speeds , but are free to move all over the place (including their home base or yours) while doing so. Hitting thrusters or power groups won't make a dent in his top speed until you've destroyed most of them , and then it's much easier to just core him anyway.

Giving players the option to directly reduce their enemy's mobility is necessary , but as with everything in starmade , large ships can always fit more. Since agility is the main strength of smaller craft , such a critical function should not stack from multiple modules at all , just like cloakers and jammers. Nor should it come with no drawback.

My concept for a "combat commitment" module is the Higgs Field Generator. This weapon has a short range radial effect , originating from the module itself , that raises the mass of any ship in range (always including the one firing it) to the square of their value (or a formula with higher exponent) for a few seconds , while firing continuously. The effect will not stack with others' , friend or foe , but placing several modules at each end of a large ship will increase the volume covered.

This increase in mass will dramatically reduce the effective thrust of any ship in range , but not cancel their momentum - moving in a straight line remains possible. In a duel scenario , the lighter ship would find his relative agility multiplied , and avoid his enemy's main gun batteries much easier. However , it would be easier to shoot at for ships outside the field. Conversely , a large ship could activate his field to slow harassers down for his allies , at the cost of not being able to change directions at all. Two ships of equal mass fighting with the field up would both have slow acceleration - the one with more thrusters could move around easier before hitting the speed limit , slowly changing the tactical situation to his advantage.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I support. However, this could be easily abused on larger ships though I think that\'s intended.

This would prevent tiny ship abuse, seeing as I\'ve seen tiny ships demolish larger ones, one too many times.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think if this is to be a weapon, that a craft should normally be crafted around this concept In such, this should have some limit that it can\'t just be tacked on to any ship and good to go, but maybe.. have the ship using this weapon also be under the effects partially in addition to the energy cost to run the device(s).