Thoughts concerning those Terran and Earth themed factions,

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Yeah, I know, the generic clickbait of the title not finishing the thought and forcing you to click if you want more.

Anyways, was just throwing this out-there for those of you smallish factions that call yourself "Earth [whatever]" or "Terra" or "Terran" or whatever. Terrestrial Terran's Troubled, Thinking Terrible Truths of Tanks Thundering Through Thicket. (oh god the potential for alliterations).

Instead base it off a sect or culture of earthlings. Or nationality, if that works for you.
    Just a suggestion! Cause honestly I am having trouble telling you guys apart. Except for TGT or whatever, cause it might seem that they could either be Argentinian Nazis or Caribbean Communists. Hey that last one is kinda catchy. Anyways, not the "real deal", but rements of the culture or peoples heavily influenced by it to reference it a lot and converse in the tone, but not be as strict or burdened by the systems.

It may not be the actual faction page, but more of the members, that give me that vibe.

Anyways, right, vibe. Give us a distinct vibe about your faction, reference the dominant culture, even if your as just to be as vague as "western" (as in Europe and American dominated culture, not the style of movies). Are you an Arabic style faction and have a strong sense of brothers in arms kind of deal, or are you a cutthroat mercenary faction from the jungles/mountains/deserts of South America. Just spit-balling here. Maybe include some jargon or ...dialect? of the culture for themeing, and some kickass proverbial sayings from a major influential figure in the culture. Maybe it is because I am not a Trekkie, but a united Earth sounds boring and unrealistic. It also erases most of the culture and traits that make the earth special, like 99% of it. What makes your earth/terran faction different from the 100 others on the forums. Help me, help us, distinguish you by who your faction is, instead of, well..
    "Okay, looks like we have the Terran Earthings moving in next store. They are forumside."
    "Oh, cool. Which one is them again? Terran whosiwaties?"
    "The ones with the grey blocky ships?"
    "Uhhhhhh"
    "The ones that are not halo ships"
    "Uhhhhhh"
    "They have lines of purple on them, and one of their members is-"
    "OH those guys, got it!"
    ^Hypothetical conversation, does not represent any faction currently on the SMD. (Unless their really is a grey and purple ship faction, I really didn't look that deep).

Yup, thats pretty much it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Herr Reichsführer Comr4de, du vir haben das jargon?
    I was zubeschäftigt making ze final solution to crisscross puzzle to notice if we had any

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Agreed. Or just, you know, theme yourselves off of something other than just "We're from Earth." You can be an allied league of space pirates, an empire based off of some planet somewhere (even if you are humans), a shadowy organization of manipulators, assassins, and thieves, a theocratic nation crusading in the name of the Great Space Pumpkin of Doom, a huge herd of sentient space llamas in starships... Whatever!

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Agreed. Or just, you know, theme yourselves off of something other than just "We're from Earth." You can be an allied league of space pirates, an empire based off of some planet somewhere (even if you are humans), a shadowy organization of manipulators, assassins, and thieves, a theocratic nation crusading in the name of the Great Space Pumpkin of Doom, a huge herd of sentient space llamas in starships... Whatever!
    We're kind of like UEE from Star Citizen

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Master Builder Bronze
    You know if we'd live in a non-orwellian hellhole of a world, then we'd be completely free to make "Drittes Reich" supernazifaction without being permabanned from this forum, quarter of our members being detained by the respective police departments of their countries, forced into "tolerance" social programs and having a file put on the secret police's database about potential future members of radical groups.

I think Helkan Imperium's faction page was blocked in UK and nav had FSB check up on him within two weeks of us joining it

Reactions: Blaza612

Bogdan

Grand Master of OOB
    Reaction score
    There are actually lots of websites online which people can find for inspiration for faction/clan/group/corporation/nation/government/populace/race etc. generators which will give you some ideas for more 'in-depth' lore backgrounds.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1445866966,1445866403][/DOUBLEPOST]Some examples of generators:
    http://fantasynamegenerators.com/guild_names.php#.Vi4tAfnhCUk
    http://www.chaoticshiny.com/factiongen.php <- I personally Recommend this website. It goes into massive detail and if you buy 'Kingdom Package' you can get TONS of inspiration+ideas for your faction. I got a lot of inspiration for structure (if not content) from this website!
    https://apps.quanticfoundry.com/namegen/
    http://genr8rs.com/Generator/Fun/ClanNameGenerator
    http://www.seventhsanctum.com/generate.php?Genname=sfgovernment
    http://raylehnhoff.github.io/SCFSD/

Reactions: Master_Artificer

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Don't think this was necessary. Most Terran themed factions usually or small things that last barely a week exceptions being the veteran created TGT and the Mass Effect Systems Alliance.

Don't think there is an active Halo faction out there...

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Why does it matter? I like the standard Earth-based names, what fun is knowing what a faction is about right off the bat? I want to encounter something called the Terran Protectorate. A name like that sounds like the name of a righteous defender of humanity. Then I want to gradually learn that they are lead by a tyrant whose subordinates only remain loyal because they are afraid of life outside of it.

The moral of the story is: let people be as unoriginal as they want.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Don't think this was necessary. Most Terran themed factions usually or small things that last barely a week exceptions being the veteran created TGT and the Mass Effect Systems Alliance.

Don't think there is an active Halo faction out there...
    Systems alliance is only mass effect themed because the creator enjoyed mass effect so much not the earth part or really anything related to earth defence, and I personally love the mass effect ship design/style they have going some really great stuff..

But uh, Factions are factions, They will be called and themed based on what they want to be and there is no amount of disapproval that will stop that