The speed problem

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Some were speaking about this speed problem "50 km/h ? Wtf?" etc....
    The number itself is nothing, changing km/h to km/s =], would do it.

I thought about a "solution"(without the growth of this 50 number):
    1/Nerf the engines' power, acceleration (to make 50 feel like 500).
    2/THe manoevrability system also could be brought down = much more ship styles, much more
    interesting problems to resolve while creating a ship (not only design)
    3/Maybe install some speed caps, depending on multiple parameters?
    (A 50 blocks ship, even with alot of thrust cannot go faster than 30 ...)

Reaction score
    Are you insane?

50 block ships should go well over 30 if you ask me

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    yES me insane =)

Don\'t remember how, the X* series put the idea in my insane head that big ships are generally faster
    than small ones, but no maneuvrability/no acceleration. Means a capital ship will get his max speed
    only after a long time accelerating, any maneuvering lowers the speed.

Means in a random battle: 1 dreadnought, 1 carrier VS 2 dreadnoughts =
    Capital ships start to maneuver to get the best position to fire at each other,
    maneuvers slow them down to nothing, then the carrier launches his sht
    and the battle goes normally.

If one capital wants to escape = he has a chance etc.

Just dunno how to explain it well on english.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The only problem with the actual ship speed and acceleration is the thrust/mass ratio. In my opinion that ratio should not be linear at all, and it should grow exponentially as your ship grows, meaning you\'ll need a bigger ratio difference for bigger ships, or deal with them being slow. If you set it to grow exponential them a titan size ship to be as fast as a fighter will only be made of thrusters, and you\'ll not be able to feed it with the necessary power!

I don\'t know what the exponential function should look like. I\'ll think about that, and I\'ll give you some number later this afternoon.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Just somthing little i thought i might add you know with your weapons you can set it to damage reload and distance how about a thing like that to do with thrusters so you can choose acelleration, max speed or maneuvrability?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Ya, by definition, capital ships are those which can warp or go at super speeds, faster, that\'s why they load fighters inside, not random people flying around in fighters and doing all the job.

But no nerfing for other blocks... you can\'t imagine how nerfed big ships are already, mainly, everything from thrusters, energy blocks to shields and guns is nerfed.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    But, nerfing capital ships acceleration is not a nerf in their survivability, because capital ships are not supposed to be fighting fighters but other capital ships.Also, the warp core is a planned feature, so a capital should not be able to move fast in normal speed, but can use a warp core to travel at light speed.

This would help a lot with lag and collision in big fights with big and small ships altogether.

Another thing, fighter\'s fire power should not be able to break capital\'s shields regen. That\'s what need balance.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'ve tryed to change some config files, physics/ server in solo.
    And got interesting results (something that starts to look interesting).
    -put a litle bit faster deceleration, speed cap at 100 (cauz i can\'t find any acceleration parameters =[)
    -changed some strange values that have something to do with turn rates

And my ~500 blocks mining shuttle started to fly quite differently, much slower (in general).//(before it flew like a tie fighter)
    Till we have no possibilities to decently change parameters ourselves.

Maybe someone more familiar with java/other .cfg could find something ?

Could be a good thing to let the player choose which style of mass/thrust/maneuver system he wants,
    let him simply try values via settings in the launcher etc.
    At least for solo.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    On my server i have 150 speed cap but you need pretty much need double the thrust compaired to vanilla gameplay