• Top Forum Contributor
    To the left, my trading station, to the right a giant ship :D

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Is the trading station tiny or the ship huge?

It is difficult to reasonable fill a >300m long >150m wide > 100m tall ship with 20-30 decks interior all the way to the back and sides.

Twice as long = 8x the interior => it is almost impossible for a >500m ship to be anything but a copy&paste work or battle-cube ;) -> your station can do fine in RP

EDIT: I forgot how much space hangars take away.
    CyberTao: Maybe just think about double the size I said above.

Last edited by a moderator:

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Is the trading station tiny or the ship huge?

Don't worry. Ships of that size are just battle-cubes.
    It is difficult to reasonable fill a >300m long >150m wide > 100m tall ship with 20-30 decks interior all the way to the back and sides.

Twice as long = 8x the interior => it should be almost impossible for a >500m ship to be anything but a copy&paste work or battle-cube ;D

EDIT: I forgot how much space hangars take away.
    CyberTao: Maybe just think about double the size I said above.
    How are ships that size all battle cubes??? A battle cube is a ship that is specifically cubic since it's easier to make and maximises the stats (or it's just a borg cube).

The fact that an entire ship isn't completely filled with interiors doesn't make it some copy pasted noob ship...

Last edited by a moderator:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    ONG 7/11 disagrees from just this one thread

You are so mean! (And don't disagree, you ARE mean! :()

Last edited:

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    If you get most blocks from filling in 10x10x10 cubes or larger, it is a battle cube, no matter how it looks - at least partially :p

If you get a 100x50x300 ship from smedit and just put 10x10x10 weapon, shield, power cubes, ... into it, is it a battle-cube? I would say yes.
    Most huge ships have enough space to put such things in and build interior around - that makes it easier to later adjust block balance.

Also I added an EDIT: I forgot how much space hangars take away.
    That is why I said a lower size as I wanted - I rarely build hangars in my ships and they already take one or two days for all logic, interior ...
    "it is almost impossible".
    "it should be almost impossible" for players with real life due to it's difficulty :)
    I didn't meant that it should be made more difficult, maybe we got a communication issue?

How are we mean??? Your logic is just completely nonsensical...

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    If you get most blocks from filling in 10x10x10 cubes or larger, it is a battle cube, no matter how it looks - at least partially :p

If you get a 100x50x300 ship from smedit and just put 10x10x10 weapon, shield, power cubes, ... into it, is it a battle-cube? I would say yes.
    Most huge ships have enough space to put such things in and build interior around - that makes it easier to later adjust block balance.

Also I added an EDIT: I forgot how much space hangars take away.
    That is why I said a lower size as I wanted - I rarely build hangars in my ships and they already take one or two days for all logic, interior ...
    "it is almost impossible".
    "it should be almost impossible" for players with real life due to it's difficulty :)
    I didn't meant that it should be made more difficult, maybe we got a communication issue?

SMedits are not as easy to fix up as most thinks, due to the Bin-voxing not creating even symmetry and the Mono-colour by default (These can be fixed on the SMedit program, but still need polishing ingame).
    Also, there is no set definition or equations for ship. The only time I found said systems would work is on a rectangular ship anyways. That is your preference and don't assume the community will agree.

Anyways, the amount of interior a player will put in his ship depends on what he thinks a ship should be, and that is a preference.

When People think of Space games, I assume people think of different games. People who think of SoaSE or the X-series and want to build ships like in that would probably not build much interior, because there is No interior in those games! Players who think about Shows like Star Trek or Star Wars might want to build more interior because in said shows, they can imagine people running around the decks and Bridge, and the Rooms would add to their fun.
    Some people think Interiors are a must have, some think it is unnecessary and care more for the stats. There is nothing wrong with either, and There are a multitude of servers to accommodate the Various Building Ideals (Hardcore servers, Normal PvP/PvE, RP).

I personally like to build interiors, its fun for me. For other peoples' Fun might be in the battle itself (Not just winning), so Stats are important to their Kind of Fun. It all depends on how you want to play, and that ends in all kinds of opinions since this is a sandbox game.

Battle 'Cubes' Refer to the exterior and shape of a ship, and lack of interior altogether. Its used as an Insult most times. Battle Cubes (Or Borg Cubes) Are ships designed to maximize efficiency, discarding Visual appeal. People hate them because they require no real effort or though, and yet can easily take on ships larger then itself.
    If a ship has depth to its Exterior (Think like 3 Blocks 'thick' with etched designs, plating, vents, etc) or a multiple shapes giving it its final silhouette, then its not really a Battle ship. Might be basic or ugly, but that just makes it a noob ship. :p

I personally dont believe SMedits falls in that category of Battle Cubes, since most times players end up having to replace every block and fix many errors from the conversion. If a person just imports a Model from SMedit and just leaves it as it came, then commend them for Using SMedit poorly. It's a Tool, and it takes effort for good things to happen from it. SMedit ships Fit on the same shelve as Replica ships imho, since both boost the same amount of creativity.

Words Words Words Words. TD;DR - My Main issue is you called the ship a Battle cube based on your definition of what a ship should be. It's fine to have an opinion yes, but be wary of it when criticizing someone else's work (Could have made a comment on how amazing the interior could be).
    Remember, This is a Sandbox with a diverse range of building styles. Who Knows? Maybe this might might have been made into a Mobile Mining and factory ship? Maybe it was to be a Fortified Colony-ship? (Although I assume its probably not xD).
    Anyways, that's my 2 Cents worth. Take it how you want.

2 Sidenotes;
    1- The Mention system doesn't seem to work if you add a mention during an Edit, so I had no idea I was being summoned.
    2- I didnt Proof read this, so theres probably a few typos or Derps in there somewhere, let me know so I can fix them - 3-

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    SMedits are not as easy to fix up as most thinks, due to the Bin-voxing not creating even symmetry and the Mono-colour by default (These can be fixed on the SMedit program, but still need polishing ingame).
    I personally dont believe SMedits falls in that category of Battle Cubes, since most times players end up having to replace every block and fix many errors from the conversion. If a person just imports a Model from SMedit and just leaves it as it came, then commend them for Using SMedit poorly. It's a Tool, and it takes effort for good things to happen from it. SMedit ships Fit on the same shelve as Replica ships imho, since both boost the same amount of creativity.
    If somebody would have said that in the early SMedit-hater threads :cool:...

Would you agree on: "It is possible to make a nice hull around one or multiple battle-cubes"?

---

Words Words Words Words. TD;DR - My Main issue is you called the ship a Battle cube based on your definition of what a ship should be. It's fine to have an opinion yes, but be wary of it when criticizing someone else's work (Could have made a comment on how amazing the interior could be).
    True.
    I generally don't mind big ships, but the lack of balance at their size and the lags.
    Probably you can just do 20m-high rooms and build 3 blocks high beds to fill everything with details, but at the current game stage it would look like a try to proof of how difficult it is to reasonable fit interior into each corner of a large ship.

I said : "If you get most blocks from filling in 10x10x10 cubes or larger, it is a battle cube, no matter how it looks - at least partially"
    With "how it looks" I meant "how it is covered with a shape", because look includes spent time for artwork on the hull.

I meant: it is not the size which matters.
    I wanted to write that "the small station is doing fine", but somehow forgot it the time I was writing it.

---

Anyways, the amount of interior a player will put in his ship depends on what he thinks a ship should be, and that is a preference.

If a ship has depth to its Exterior (Think like 3 Blocks 'thick' with etched designs, plating, vents, etc) or a multiple shapes giving it its final silhouette, then its not really a Battle ship. Might be basic or ugly, but that just makes it a noob ship. :p
    You could only hull the surface and have shield capacitors below it to even it out and not wasting that space.
    When ships are big enough, even 2 blocks thick hull every 2nd block for a separated line of hull blocks detailing the exterior is not that much added weight.

Are you including that all battle-ships must bare hull?

Do you know that the new weapons with piercing and punch-through have less damage against armoured (=hull) blocks?
    With 50% armour from hardened hulls and enough punch-through effect modules on your ship you will be almost immune. I think defensive punch-through it will get more efficient as it is very difficult to get 50% blocks being effect modules + energy to power them and possible to evade it with EMP.
    -> we will see how this will evolve

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    Also, there is no set definition or equations for ship. The only time I found said systems would work is on a rectangular ship anyways. That is your preference and don't assume the community will agree.
    I definitely agree with this. SMedit isn't as easy to use as you might think. Really SMedit will build you a ship to give you inspiration and a general guideline, but there is still lots of work to do before it becomes a 'good' ship.

Also it is certainly an option that Aceface used SMedit to make the Ragnarov but me, being familiar with SoaSE internal workings, know it is pretty difficult to extract files and models from inside the game file. That coupled with the ship already being pretty much symetrical leads me to the conclusion that AceFace definitely could of built this ingame.