the emptiness of space and station/shops

Reaction score
    Space should be empty. Asteroids normally are not scattered through space, they form large clouds and belts, with the occasional one zooming into the gravity of a planet or celestial entity. Making asteroids clump in one spot could potentially free a lot of lag and help large ships get around, since most of the time the large ships are just constantly bumping into asteroids,

The same goes with shops, although the word "shop" is a little strange for what we have in starmade. In my mind, a space shop is a rare massive station full of trading and hauling ships coming in and out of the place, not giant bars that are essentially scattered through space. I suggest shops and stations be merged into a much larger (at least 1 km) , much rarer station, with patrols and NPC trading ships all around the place.

It might also help to point out that, shops need to have more stock. Like, a lot more.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Well if a cap ship hit a belt the server would be screwed. Also these 1km stations they would kill some people computers. And we dont have the players to man a shop and minning operation like that.

Reaction score
    I meant npc shops. Okay, maybe 1km would be too alrge, but seriously, no ship should be able to dwarf a station.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I think shops should be a little bigger as well, but asteroids don\'t always just sit in belt formations. Some do float around and orbit other bodies like you said. Though I should mention actual asteroid belts aren\'t as cramped as the popular perception. You can go long distances without even seeing the closest neighbor.

I feel asteroids should be less numerous, but much larger.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I vote for shop cubes with flat extentions or intentations on their 6 sides. One could be have a hangar.

• Not because I like cubes so much, but it would make collision handling a lot easier - collision box vs collision box if ships are larger than 1/3 or 1/4 of a station.

For stations size... I vote for 200 (Planets are 400). 300 at max.

But I think it is more important to have different types of shops. There is so much clutter...

And that you can make factories public usable for a small fee (5-10% of ressources)

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I feel asteroids should be less numerous, but much larger.

I feel that EVERYTHING should be less numerous, but larger. Planets, star systems, shops, pirate bases, asteroids... everything but player ships. :P

Also, for those of you that have seen the Hermit Sanctum, that\'s roughly the right size for NPC shops/stations, IMO.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Have people build stations and send him the sector export, which ever ones he likes and feels wont offend or favor certain people get put on the site for us to vote! then which ever one we vote for gets implemented for the next update. From my journeys into the games files, it seems that changing which shops spawn is easy.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    a few should

especially in belts

Maybe small enough to just drain the shield a bit per collision and collision handling done via boundary boxes /sub-boundary-boxes.

They could turn to space dust and (time-delayed) reassemble a new random block configuration (or join a few blocks onto other astroids on it\'s path) dependent on how much cpu time you want to spend on it.

Reaction score
    This will make the (already lackluster) exploration element even worse. This is a space sandbox shooter, not a simulation game so realism is not a priority.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    No one was overly talking about realism...

If planets where bigger (At the cost of having fewer planets) wouldn\'t there be some appeal to land on it and explore and possibly set up some kind of mineing outpost of some sort + stuff that you would eventully need would be found on planets.

Oh and sorry for telling you to shut up.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If you can choose to display sectors between emty and dense to be displayed red in your navigation, it could help to avoid asteroids and REDUCE LAG for players with big ships.

Try to see the other part - from another point of view.

We could merge 2x2x2=8 to 1 sector for database requests on very emty space and improve performance a lot.

Reaction score
    The how about a CFG setting for percentage of asteroid and plaet spawning like shops? Everyone wins.