The Current State of Weapons

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yep, luckily most people haven't realized it yet. It also requires some thinking from a person in order do design a proper point defence system. So I don't think that it'll be much of an issue.
    The issue is that peoples are encouraged to spam that many missiles with drones from that many different directions to make the "anti-missile targeting CPUs overheating" => LAG.

I think beams should target small missiles and cannons only large nukes but be more effective at it.

Pulses should temporarily disable tracking of lock-ons (for 0.5 seconds?) and missiles cause heat-seekers to search new targets (also other missiles) for some time.

Beams.targetable = ((LauncherSize * reload-time * 500)) / Distance ?
    Cannons.targetable = ((LauncherSize * reload-time * 50)) / Distance ?

Last edited:

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    I'd like to say from experience that there seems to be a misconception about heat seeking missiles. A few people seem to think that a titan without turrets can just use missile swarms to kill all the fighters/drones around it while the rest of you believe that this is not true and that titans will always need turrets.

When I fire off my 400m long battle-cruisers emergency (Fuck it were going to dump our entire 10 million power reserve into a few hundred, maybe over a thousand, heat seeking missiles) clusterfuck it WILL destroy anything around it. The actual mission where I discovered this goes as follows:
    Another member of my faction had their ship shot up by pirates and wanted me to help them get it back. We flew there in the battle-cruiser to find a bullet riddled ship surrounded by a fleet of about a dozen 100-150m long pirate corvettes. I accidentally fired off the emergency missile system while trying to switch to the main cannons. The result was the near complete destruction of the pirate fleet, the destruction of all my small turrets, the destruction of all 8 fighters in my hanger, the presumed destruction of the ship we came to save (never found it again) and the destruction of all nearby asteroids that must have happened to get in the way.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    When I fire off my 400m long battle-cruisers emergency (Fuck it were going to dump our entire 10 million power reserve into a few hundred, maybe over a thousand, heat seeking missiles) clusterfuck it WILL destroy anything around it. The actual mission where I discovered this goes as follows:
    Another member of my faction had their ship shot up by pirates and wanted me to help them get it back. We flew there in the battle-cruiser to find a bullet riddled ship surrounded by a fleet of about a dozen 100-150m long pirate corvettes. I accidentally fired off the emergency missile system while trying to switch to the main cannons. The result was the near complete destruction of the pirate fleet, the destruction of all my small turrets, the destruction of all 8 fighters in my hanger, the presumed destruction of the ship we came to save (never found it again) and the destruction of all nearby asteroids that must have happened to get in the way.
    You should have picked a rescue ship, not a ship using hidden tech for mass destruction.

Weapons which don't distinguish between friend and foe are supposed to be forbidden if not used as the very-last defense line in a war.

Or by EVIL peoples.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I'd like to say from experience that there seems to be a misconception about heat seeking missiles. A few people seem to think that a titan without turrets can just use missile swarms to kill all the fighters/drones around it while the rest of you believe that this is not true and that titans will always need turrets.

You just gave me a very good (or extremely bad, depends on your point of view) idea >: D