The core block and you!

I like both ideas.

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    Now I always wanted epic boarding parties, carefully draining shields and then lasering open the roof on a capital before boarding with the heart of a lion and the spirit of a warrior in Starmade, so here's a few ideas for the core block:

1) The core has no shields. But does have a spongeload of hitpoints.

Simple: The core has no protection from how many shields are on, but has the same amount of HP as a Faction Block. 'But Supra! I'll just cover my core with blocks!' I hear you say. Well, then the solution is to make the next 3-5 blocks not be affected by shields either. But that's kinda dumb, I can't think of any other solution though...

2) The core can be hacked, or jacked or generally accessed by intruders.

I'm sick of the same ol' strategy, kill the other guy's ship then drive away. Wouldn't it be cool if you could board the ships? I'm talking being able to open up doors, board your party of grizzled Sphess Mehrins and battle the crew, then victoriously going over to the core, and blowing it but through self-destruction or GTAing that shit and going for a joyride. I've noticed most capitals (Is there any other ship class in this game?) only have one crew on board as well...

PS: Sorry if this has been suggested before and I've unknowingly plagiarised someone's work. Don't sue.

Oh and another thing: Personally I don't see why other factions can't build on faction turf, in real life (Yeah I know unrealistic game yadda yadda) the only thing stopping a burglar from getting in and nicking everything is your shotgun (Or slug bat if you live in the UK or California) and alarm system. In starmade, the only thing stopping a griefer should be Logic traps and your defence turrets. But I know a lot of people will disagree with this and for good reason too.

Reaction score
    I think something major that stops boarding parties and such (which I think is an awesome idea BTW) is the fact that people trying to manually remove blocks from an enemy ship cannot do so. This really stops the "fly in, bust down a door, get to the core" type of gameplay that I really would want to see come to Starmade.

I think to handle the issue of cores and shields, the core should have all the normal shield/hull benefits, but the person using the core should stand outside and be able to be killed by a handgun. After that, raiders could take over the core and do whatever it is they feel like doing.

Reaction score
    I think that players can break blocks of another factions ship if it is not docked to anything. This would prevent exploitation from griefers. There should also be a new magnet block that allows you to attach to another ship through just bumping in to them.

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    wasn't there a grapple in the works for boarding parties?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think that players can break blocks of another factions ship if it is not docked to anything. ... There should also be a new magnet block that allows you to attach to another ship through just bumping in to them.
    Firstly, you can always break another factions ship, unless it has a faction module on it. Secondly, if server owners want boarding parties and such, they can alter the server config file so faction modules only help when docking to a ship. I do, however, like your magnet idea. It would make boarding ships, if the server allows it, more fun.

Reaction score
    This thread was about boarding parties:
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/spherical-shields.1226/

And I see some issues with the whole idea. I'm just gonna keep it short by giving some food for thought.

1) A boarding party would be at least 2-5 ppl. That is by itself (taking you got 5) already a big part of the online population of a server. AI might be a solution to it all but that is still just AI, easy to fool.

2) Why would anyone controlling a still active ship allow anyone to board it. Can't imagen somebody boarding a moving ship with the collision detection warping you away each time you're trying to get in a hanger or something. And boarding a dead ship already has the faction block disabled and most likely the crew got all shot. So I don't see any real need for hacking and breaking stuff to get in tbh.

3) If you got in, I already can imagen so many ways of killing the boarding party without even leaving my core (inner turrets, long hallways with shotgun amc in the wall, lava, etc) or just make it so impossible to move around in the ship (endless indiviual doors to hack etc)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    wasn't there a grapple in the works for boarding parties?
    Yes.

I'd like the mechanic of accessing/using the core to change. Instead of actually entering the core, your player just aligns to it, so your character is vulnerable, you'll have to build your ship to protect yourself from shots. Same thing with weapon computers.