Terrible FPS near planets

Reaction score
    So I recently bought the game from Steam, why wouldn't I? It sounded incredible.

However I have been having FPS issues, generally near planets.

In space, near the starting "Shop" or when I'm by asteroids the FPS is brilliant, an easy 100-400 FPS. However when I head towards a planet I get a heavy FPS drop and the planet loads incredibly slowly. When I actually managed to land on one, after it finished loading I was getting spikes between 1-20 FPS.

Furthermore I get a red error box in the top right corner, telling me the server is overloaded and may freeze if it does not respond within 5 seconds. I find this strange considering that I'm playing in Single player mode.

For the last day I have scoured the interwebz for fixes, during that time I have optimised my Nividia card for performance, given my 64bit Java installation extra memory capabilities and increased the memory usage of the game. However this has been to no avail, All I want is the capability to load a planet fairly quick and build on it with a steady 60 or so FPS.

TLDR:
    I've optimised the game settings, Nvidia settings and Java. Still getting FPS issues.

System Specs:

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.9GHz
    4096MB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250

Obviously not the best system, but I have played what appeared to be higher resource intensive games with a stable FPS.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Planets in Starmade are very resource-intensive. They have threaded generation and can cripple high end PCs.
    I go from 800+ fps down to under 10 if i'm not careful loading in planets.

Your best bet would be to lower planet size to allow faster loading.

Open server.cfg with notepad, or a similar editing tool and find the line:
    PLANET_SIZE_MEAN = 175.0
    Lower it to something more in-line with your system. I suggest 30-75

Also change:
    PLANET_SIZE_DEVIATION = 100.0
    To something lower than your 'MEAN' size.

Reaction score
    Just as crusade has said. planets are currently a very WIP (work in progress) feature. they will be getting much love eventually, including new planet types, terrain generation, and most importantly, rendering optimizations.

its not an issue with your system, even the highest end systems fall on their face with large planets. this will be resolved eventually, but for now your best bet is to either avoid them entirely, or as crusade said, lower their spawn size (which is what most of us do) later once they get optimized you can always bump the spawn size up to something your more content with.

Edit: woop, 200th post :)