Taking over abandoned stations?

Reaction score
    I'm playing on single player. I'm sitting in an abandoned station. I salvage stuff and a message pops up telling me I will only get scrap from salvaging or I can press m to repair. I press m to repair and a text box pops up asking me for a station name. I enter a name then a message box pops up telling me there can only be one station per sector.

I've tried this a few times at different stations and get the same thing. The first one told me I needed a million credits so I saved up but now each station gives me the same message. Is there something else I need to do to take over the station?

Reactions: mgwerner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I am so glad someone asked this. I was too embarrassed to ask myself.......that clears things up, and I am now insanely rich from harvesting stations!

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    the price of taking over a station is determined by how many blocks it has. the most blocks a station has the more it will cost.

alternatively you can salvage most of the station to decrease the price and build it back later when you own it. try salvaging it down to just 1 block then buying it for dirt cheap.

Reaction score
    the price of taking over a station is determined by how many blocks it has. the most blocks a station has the more it will cost.

alternatively you can salvage most of the station to decrease the price and build it back later when you own it. try salvaging it down to just 1 block then buying it for dirt cheap.
    Um, why would I do that rather than just building a shiny new station from scratch? Salvaging the station only gives me scrap that can be turner in to circuits or mesh and they aren't hard to come by. Or am I missing something?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1418468102,1418467986][/DOUBLEPOST]Side/second question regarding taking over abandoned stations.

The price to take one over is 22M (less any damage). In pure cash value terms is doing this to be able to salvage the entire station and sell the blocks worth it? Are the salvaged blocks worth more than 22M?

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Well, because by taking over stations you can salvage the station and get blocks instead of scrap.

If you salvage the entire station and sell it to a shop that has prices higher than default, than yes, it is worth it.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Um, why would I do that rather than just building a shiny new station from scratch? Salvaging the station only gives me scrap that can be turner in to circuits or mesh and they aren't hard to come by. Or am I missing something?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1418468102,1418467986][/DOUBLEPOST]Side/second question regarding taking over abandoned stations.

The price to take one over is 22M (less any damage). In pure cash value terms is doing this to be able to salvage the entire station and sell the blocks worth it? Are the salvaged blocks worth more than 22M?
    its mostly because when you start off your gonna want a home base quick. Spawning a new state in will always cost 1 million credits.

like i said the cost of turning an abandoned station into an owned station is based on the value of the blocks that make it up. all of the abandoned stations currently in the game are made up of standard hull (might not be the case later when the new stations are implemented) and standard hull's base value is very cheap, usually in the ball park of about 100-200 credits a block. see whee I'm going?

harvest a station down to about 1 block then take it over. plop down a faction module and you've got a home base that won't cost you more than the default starting credits of 25k

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Interesting to note is that the abandoned stations are the only pre-existing structures in this game that have this decayed thing going on with them. Pirate bases however, are fully salvageable for normal blocks.

What I did in My "legit" SP world, knowing that I needed a station to put factory blocks down on, I found an abandoned station, put down some factory and storage blocks (they're easy enough to replace), and basically squatted there until I had mined and produced enough junk to build a crappy attack ship.
    Then I shot up a pirate base, took it's loot, and claimed that as My starter station. Now I've got a very sizable supply of standard hull, power reactors, shield caps, and glass to work with, either for customizing said x-pirate base, or I can salvage most of it and start fresh. For free.

Beats the hell out of paying twenty two million space bucks to.... Someone, just so I can use a generic space station that'll need a ton of work anyways before it's suitable for use, or stripping said base down to one block, buying it cheap, and not really having a base at all.

Now that I think of it, I could probably just sell off most of My starter gear to buy a missile computer and missile blocks (missiles do a fine job of quickly knocking out those pirate turrets), along with a radar jammer and just get a free home base with loot inside from the very start...

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Interesting to note is that the abandoned stations are the only pre-existing structures in this game that have this decayed thing going on with them. Pirate bases however, are fully salvageable for normal blocks.

What I did in My "legit" SP world, knowing that I needed a station to put factory blocks down on, I found an abandoned station, put down some factory and storage blocks (they're easy enough to replace), and basically squatted there until I had mined and produced enough junk to build a crappy attack ship.
    Then I shot up a pirate base, took it's loot, and claimed that as My starter station. Now I've got a very sizable supply of standard hull, power reactors, shield caps, and glass to work with, either for customizing said x-pirate base, or I can salvage most of it and start fresh. For free.

Beats the hell out of paying twenty two million space bucks to.... Someone, just so I can use a generic space station that'll need a ton of work anyways before it's suitable for use, or stripping said base down to one block, buying it cheap, and not really having a base at all.

Now that I think of it, I could probably just sell off most of My starter gear to buy a missile computer and missile blocks (missiles do a fine job of quickly knocking out those pirate turrets), along with a radar jammer and just get a free home base with loot inside from the very start...
    I just settle on the first planet I find when I start a survival universe. Set it up as my home base and take control of the system so I get the mining bonus, you'll have enough ore and shards to start building in no time.