Survival or creative?

Reaction score
    So how far along are the survival aspects of the game? Cause for me personally it still feels like a creative oriented game.
    And for a lot of people, being able to start on a decent sized planet and work your way into space from a traditional survival aspect is a must. Instead of being thrown in a space station in the middle of no where with normally no resources nearby and just the ability to create a small ship. It's kinda survival but it's more like survival and creative had a baby to me, not really true survival.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    So how far along are the survival aspects of the game? Cause for me personally it still feels like a creative oriented game.
    And for a lot of people, being able to start on a decent sized planet and work your way into space from a traditional survival aspect is a must. Instead of being thrown in a space station in the middle of no where with normally no resources nearby and just the ability to create a small ship. It's kinda survival but it's more like survival and creative had a baby to me, not really true survival.
    I quite like idea to start on planet and to make You able to leave planet You will need booster engines so exiting planet's gravity field will be hard.

Actually we have not enough aspects that forces You to fight for survive. No food, no water, no oxygen, no fuel. And electricity system is way not enough developed to be interesting in any way.

Yes it's still ship builder 2000 (a little bit less than before but still). That's why I'm not playing SM much last time. I'am just watching next updates and waiting for something that will really improve gameplay.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Exactly like the game could be so good but it's just clay with no mold and no frame. Some people can give themselves tasks and such but I think would really take off if there was good support for modding and even more importantly true survival. Like what space engineers has been doing with oxygen, as an example. Or what minecraft does with farming, there's so many ways to innovate on games that already do it, they could make it amazing.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    i like to call it legit play. survival is more minecrafty where you survive, but you dont really survive here in terms of your body, its more your ship.

Reaction score
    It is associated with minecraft/voxel style games but this game is a voxel blocky game. And you are "surviving" if you start on a planet and have to take care of your self such as food, water, oxygen(in space), etc. That's when it gets fun!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well, at the moment the only survival aspect is the gathering of resources to start making bigger and better ships. Like most others I start with a base on a planet and build up from there. Obviously at the moment there are not many perils in this way of starting, only occasional pirate raids if you're unlucky or didn't pick a 'right' planet far enough away from it all.

However, with the mention in the latest DevBlog of the introduction of living fauna round the corner, or in other words in the not too distant future, the survival aspect of this way of starting up a StarMade career could become much more challenging. When just dropping some factories on a planet surface isn't safe per see anymore survival will become a whole new ballgame for sure. :cool:

Greets,

Jan

Reaction score
    I didn't see that in the latest devblog, I feel like they need to do a lot of work on planets for them to host life though. Like make different sizes, better atmosphere, interesting terrain gen, liquids, etc.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I didn't see that in the latest devblog, ...
    Check the second paragraph after the video, the upcoming introduction of fauna is mentioned there. I've read more about it and how it's supposed to be made versatile without having to create every one creature separately, but sadly I can't remember where. Could be it was in a previous blog, but I can be mistaken...;)

Greets,

Jan

Reaction score
    It can be either depending on how it is structured by the admin/server owner. That is what I like about this sandbox (I don't call it a game), you can make it what you want it to be. It can be a creative tool like on the build servers or a game like on the roleplay servers. That is it's greatest strength along with the single/multiplayer capability. I find most servers combine both elements which creates the watering-down effect you are noticing..