Survival Horror for planets

Reaction score
    I've seen a lot of personal weaponry suggestions, some just suggesting a single weapon type for the whole game others suggesting a large array of weaponry and classes.

With my suggestion that will be a little later, think that you have only a basic rifle/assault rifle type.

As I'm floating through space with my friends on a Battleship, I look at planets and think about how much potential those masses of dirt, sand, and ice have. When you go to a planet to harvest, theres nothing to worry about, not even crashing. Don't get me wrong it's a great way to make millions. BUT

When you land, nothing to fear, you somply walk around take stuff, hop back to your ship and zoom to the nearest store. Something that has always been an interest to me, it's adventure and the unknown.

Now imagine, going to a planet with a decent sized ship, maybe a Battleship, or Battle Cruiser the games changed. theres things that don't allow you to land on a planet... well things that you don't want to happen when you land. You stay in orbit, but you still want to get the resources on the planet. You send a small ship to the surface, with about 4 people. You land and you head out to search for schtuff. After a little while you all return to the ship... except for one... He's not there, you go looking for him but he's no where to be found. You here noises.... then suddenly you're attacked, by creatures of that planet. the last two rush back to the ship to run back... but one of the creatures latches onto the ship. When the ships gets back onto the Main ship...... bam, now an alien infestation, or an alien creature on board.

Now, this may sound ridiculous, but adding the survival horror to the game would add a whole new... well everything, it would change ships and the way you make money. To keep this from ruining the planetary travel, only some planets will be inhabitated, and the resources on them could be L3-5 possibly. Something to make the risk worth while.

I just quickly put this up here, I want to know what you guys think, maybe critique the suggestion.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Coding some of what you\'ve said - disappearing ships and so on would be a nightmare (pun not intended), especially on multiplayer servers with possible spectators taking watch, staying on board etc - I am afraid such scenario would be both a problem implementation-wise and disturbing the enjoyment of the gameplay.

I hope survival elements will be added and I know that planets will be \'liven up\' with time as it\'s already in devteam plans. We just need to wait now.

Reaction score
    Oh god, imagine players purposefully driving ships infested with aliens and spreading the infestation to other players ships and stations. The problem with cool ideas like this is you just know \"those\" people are going to make it into the ultimate griefing tool.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    This would be AMAZING

Oh god, imagine you land on a planet where another player\'s ship has crashed, you go inside only to find it infested, one of your crew gets attacked, but appears fine so you take him bakc on board and escape the planet.

If you\'ve seen Alien you know where this is going ^_^

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Basically in short in order for this to be implemented, you\'re asking for alien species to be on planets, these aliens will have \"slender\" like behaviour. As much as I do think this would be a cool addition, coding this would be quite the hassle however if hand held weapons are added it\'s safe to say that we\'ll be seeing some new species we can fight, in addition to the space pirates that are already in place.

Reaction score
    You probably wouldn\'t be able to have the infestation part, unless you could somehow capture a life-form as cargo then it could probably be transferred elsewhere, but making it able to spawn and populate a foreign area like a ship or station would be extremely difficult to code. But alien lifeforms would very likely be doable and so would the personal weapon thing, it would be cool to have large, near ship eating, planet, vacuum, and asteroid lifeforms, ala Star Trek and Star Wars.

On a note on the hand held weapons, I don’t like the idea of different types, I think all people should get the same type of gun but be able to tweak the percentages like you can do with the current ship weapons. Then its balanced with no way to exploit it, yeah your gun does lots of damage because you changed percentages that way, but it fires, and reloads slow and doesn\'t have the best range.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yeah, that\'s a cool event. Not a mechanic. What you described isn\'t really much a game feature and is very much more like a heavily scripted event. And this game isn\'t exactly about scripted events...

Reaction score
    How are randomly generated creatures on planets scripted events? I thought the OP was just painting a picture to sell his/her idea. I may be wrong, perhaps they were talking about scripted events, the OP will have to clear that up. But I personaly like the idea of randomly generator creatures on planets and other places ala Minecraftlike.

Reaction score
    No I was just painting a picture of what it COULD be like if some advanced coding was done.

Scripted events are.... meh...

Reaction score
    Just make alien-like critters in the \'\'alien dirt\'\' sorta planets, and the infestation is quite simple, just make it so the hull blocks, shielded or not, slowely get infested and turn to ALIEN HULL, kekekeke...

Also fright, your name matches the topic :3

Aze

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hmm... I think it would be interesting, the coding would more than likely take about a weak, maybe 4-5 days to complete, but it would be interesting.

Just add a copy feature to make them self replicating, until eventually they have no more room, like if there is more than one in a range or radius, it won\'t replicate as fast. and they will spread out, and fill up.