Suggestion log

Reaction score
    I have been playing Starmade off and on for about a month now, Space simulation games are among one of my favorite genres and Starmade is an interesting one but as of now Starmade feels like a space sim game emphasizing on fighter and corvette sized ships.

AMC - suggestion "Heavy AMC" (Personally I think "Beam cannon" would be a better name for what I am suggesting.)

As of now AMC are a fighter weapon that scales up to become a harder hitting faster firing fighter weapon then for large ships it becomes a faster firing harder hitting shotgun. I would like to see something done to remedy that. I was thinking something along the lines of this.

I am suggestion a capital version of the standard AMC. The Heavy AMC in my view would be built on the idea of the need for large arrays say at a minimum 90 blocks to be viable. In addition instead of gaining power from having multiple large arrays, instead I am suggesting that a single array being more powerful than two arrays using the same number of blocks. The downside would be low ROF and decreased projectile velocity, the upside would be each projectile would penetrate blocks and have splash damage while being deadly to shields.

This in turn would mean that capital ships would have vulnerability to smaller ships for their main cannon. In addition it would enable the build of roll specific anti-capital fighter and corvette ships.

Power

As of now power is interestingly done. Small ships can get away with 5x5 blocks while larger capital ships require more knowledge of power systems and configurations. This requires more planning to get right.

Shields

Defense has always been on the trailing edge of offense. Following that Shields in my opinion are done for the most part correctly. With the delay of shield recharging the 10 second delay when shields are depleted makes shields incredibly underpowered. I say the depleted recharge delay should be the same as the recharge delay.

Missiles

Missiles are powerless. Missiles need to be able to damage shields and be viable for offense. As of now missiles are very roll specific. First you damage the craft until it's shields are down then you (in the brief moment of 10 second) unload your missiles unto the target and hope the shields don't recharge enough to defend against the attack.

In my opinion all missiles need to be faster moving and damage shields. The lock-on missiles are the weakest of the group as it takes ~10 seconds to acquire target lock and they fly the slowest of the bunch. Yes they have the added bonus of not hitting non targeted craft but that is defeated by them not being able go through shields.

Missiles should be a weapon that rookies build missile boats as their starting combat ships and veterans keep as backup weapons for more annoying craft.

Bobby-AI

Now here is something that needs work but is an interesting concept

Ship update - Add a guard feature where the AI will not go past certain distance from the mother ship/ station unless attacked. This would allow Bobby-AI ships to "fly in formation." To prevent players from abusing this I think that in order to configure said AI feature the ship has to be docked with said mother ship/Station for all ships at once. Meaning if the mother ship has do docking ports for drones then when drones are lost in combat the repaired/replaced drones must be docked in order to program them, programming more drones would mean previous drones would have their settings cleared.

Enabling Stations to launch fighters would also be interesting.

With said guard feature I would also be ecstatic if the AI craft had the ability to dock with the mother ship after the fight.