Suggestion for shield systems

Reaction score
    I've been playing this game for a while and I've discovered that many players and I find smaller ships useless and inferior in every way to bigger ship. Bigger ships have more fire power and can knock out anything in space that is significantly smaller than them. It's also suicide for a small ship to attempt disabling a larger ship's shields with the way they work at the moment; there simply isn't enough fire power or hit points.

Suggestion:

Make shields have a gap between the shield bubble and the actual ship hull. In this gap, shields don't apply and your only direct defense line is your hull. This allows smaller agile ships to get under the shields and allows them to have an advantage over larger ships when they go into the gap. For fairness, the gap should increase in size dependent on the mass of the ship, so that the larger the ship the more vulnerable it is from close distance shots.

This shield system will result in an increase in the effectiveness of fighter pilots/small ships, and lessens an unfairness that has existed for a long time between smaller ships and larger ones. I hope that players with fighter piloting skills will be able to finally be able to use their skills, and have a better use in the game.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    It's a much debated topic, but I don't think that many people are looking at it correctly. I liked the quote that Schema gave during the Q and A. " I didn't make big ships, players did". Frankly, I feel that besides some minor changes to turrets(rotation speed should be based on mass, and no more silly cones of fire), things are the way that they should be. You shouldn't be able to use your wimpy little cannons to kill a big ship, which big shields and big armor. It makes sense. Think like in Eve online. You, by yourself, cannot take on a Titan. It makes sense, and nobody complains. The reason it happens here Is that everyone wants their ship to be awesome, and it's hard to accept that there are limits to our own creativity and time.

Another thing is that I can't imagine how difficult it would be to white the code for having a bubble that exponentially increases by shield count. Not to mention how awful it would look, with transparent blue blocks appearing whenever you take a hit. Before you bring up bubble shields, they already were tested and removed.

Reaction score
    Shields in StarMade are most like shields in Star Wars, and unless you're part of an elite squadron or backed up by heavier firepower, you're simply not gonna be able to take out a Star Destroyer in your Y-wing. Being able to fly in under the shields would just be terrible. A large ship could just ram its front into the unshielded portion and drill in; ships would be designed to fill an ovoid shape and would all look silly.
    The main thing that will balance bigger ships is that, in the future, funds won't be so easy to acquire and homebase size, which needs to be large to make large docking areas, will need lots of faction members to maintain invulnerability. Plus, we'll have weapons suited to taking out bigger targets that can't dodge. It's worth remembering that AMCs are pretty much meant to be anti-small-ship weaponry.

Reactions: WolfChild
    Reaction score
    Both of you made some good sense with your arguments, I guess it isn't as good of an idea as I thought.

Legolas170 70 I wasn't aware shield bubbles were placed before good to know.
    Nebulon-B_Frigate_FTW I guess It would be nice to see ship based fighter squadrons :) agh, I'm already replaying Battlestar Galactic scenes in my head.

Last edited by a moderator: