Suggested controller settings?

Reaction score
    Aside from this game being an alpha, some of the default controls are absolutely terrible and non-intuitive. As such, has anybody come up with a great control scheme for the game? In particular, I have both keyboard + mouse and an xbox 360 controller at my disposal.

Tell me about your setups and let me know how you got over the headache of the questionable input mapping for this game.

D

Deleted member 433088

Different people will probably have different schemes depending on their hardware, their taste and the games they're used to play.
    Personally, I un-mapped a lot of keys that I had no use for, such as the ones to rotate the camera super-fast around you or record a .gif, and changed the rest around to the point where I'm not sure what the default key bindings were anymore; I'll just list the ones I use:

E is to interact with objects, and holding Q lets me roll the ship with the mouse, so I don't have to get too far from WASD for those things.
    M opens the Map.
    N is still Navigation.
    F targets what's in front of me. Again, close to WASD. T and Y are for next and previous targets, but if I'm looking for something I most often use the Navigation instead.
    I opens the Inventory. I un-mapped the other menus since it's easier to click on the tabs from the inventory than to remember (and take up) seven more hotkeys.
    Space bar moves me "up" when outside gravity, and Ctrl moves me "down". This is mostly reflecting "jump" and "crocuh" in other games.
    X spawns a ship, J spawns a station.
    C and V are used for linking; when in ship mode, C also aligns me to the galactic north. I use it quite a bit to get my bearings.
    Left Alt is advanced build mode.
    Left Shift is the ship's "brakes".
    END is my "exit ship" button. It's the only thing far enough from everything that I can't possibly hit it by accident.

My advice is to look at the configs and change the keys to something that seems to make sense for you. After a while of playing, you'll find out if it still needs adjusting if you keep forgetting the keys or hitting something by accident... I find it just a natural thing to do to adjust this way.

Reaction score
    I feel that this game's interface still needs a lot of work, but it's got great potential in terms of gameplay. I like your suggestion of minimizing keys. I too am accustomed to ctrl/space as vertical movement. Q as the mouse roll button is brilliant.

My xbox controller was a nightmare to configure and quickly learned that the d-pad isn't detected and triggers are mapped only as an axis. So far I have:
    Hor. L. Stick = roll
    Vert. L. Stick = pitch
    Click L. Stick = secondary

Hor. R. Stick = Yaw
    R. Shoulder = primary

L. Shoulder = Stop
    R. Shoulder = Align

Triggers (inverted) = Thrust

I think that I'll map strafes to the buttons because they become useful for docking or takeoff.

D

Deleted member 433088

The latest developer news are that they are currently working on a revamped GUI, so maybe we will see some advancement in the controller area as well. As you said, the game has a lot of potential and room for improvement, let's hope the devs continue to work on and polish this game lots :)

Reaction score
    I myself have used TrackIR for years for all my flying and I'm really missing TrackIR/FreeTrack support a lot in this game. I hope someone patches it in eventually.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I myself have used TrackIR for years for all my flying and I'm really missing TrackIR/FreeTrack support a lot in this game. I hope someone patches it in eventually.
    It looks like the TrackIR SDK is in C++. It looks like the FreeTrack stuff is in DirectX (primarily C#, but can be used to some extent in Java). Since StarMade is coded in Java and can be played on other operating systems besides Windows, it is unlikely that either TrackIR or FreeTrack will be integrated soon.