Stuttering issues when using both normal mapping and 256px textures

• Thread starter Deleted member 433088
    • Start date
    D

Deleted member 433088

Having recently returned to the game after a long while, I've ran into a weird stuttering issue that seems to be caused specifically when activating the "normal+specular+emissive mapping" combo along with the default texture pack at 256 resolution.

I tried all the usual approaches: java version is in fact up-to-date and 64-bit (dwm_2016-01-26_23-13-16.png), the available memory was increased in the launcher throughout several tries (currently: javaw_2016-01-26_23-51-05.png), and finally the nVidia video card drivers were updated (from 359.00 to the latest 361.43).
    The stuttering is constant and reduces effective fps to around 20 or less even when the reported fps are 45 (planetside) to 75 (asteroid field), making the game technically playable but quite visually annoying.

Now, I'm not sure if this is an issue in the game, or just that these two settings are far more demanding than I thought. Before updating them, this actually caused my video drivers to crash and recover and the game to hang instead of just stuttering, which is something that had never happened to me while gaming, even if my card can't exactly run the latest ones on ultra. With either the normal mapping disabled, or the textures at 128, Starmade runs well and smooth, at 60 fps planetside in both cases.

My system specs:
    Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 960T 3.00 GHz
    RAM: 4x Kingston 4Gb PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM
    Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTS 450, 1.0 Gb

graphicsinfo.txt:
    Running on thread: ClientThread
    Adapter: null
    Driver Version: null
    Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
    OpenGL Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 361.43
    Renderer: GeForce GTS 450/PCIe/SSE2
    GLSL Ver: 4.50 NVIDIA

I'll appreciate if anyone can tell if this is normal and my computer just can't handle it, or if it's actually a game issue. I refrained from posting logs since they're bigger than the allowed attachment size, but I can find a way to host them if they're deemed necessary in this case.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Funny, because I've been having stuttering for months just like this. Clean install, old install... I'm not sure which setting causes it, because I don't think I'm using the settings you've described but I'm actually starting to think it might be CPU related. I use a 460SE now and had used a 970 in the past and still had stuttering at any setting. My CPU is Phenom II X6 1100T, which is a closely related model to your 960T. Just a thought, it's the only thing our systems have in common. My Nvidia driver and Java are both up to date as well, so it can't be that either.