Station rules for homebase vulnerability and buffing

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    With this rule system I think it would be nice to have some station rules.

1. A rule that when turned on it lets you decide when homebases are vulnerable (to the specific time interval and day of the week). Many pvp community members would appreciate such a rule as it would add a foundation to making a hardcore type of server.

2. A rule that has two variables that affects the stations shield HP& regen along with the stations dps.
    So default is 1 and if set to 10 then 10x shield hp and regen of stations. the same with the weapons variable. if set to 4 then all weapons fired from a station (the turrets ofc) have their dps multiplied by 4.

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    #1 sounds decent as long as its an option, but i think #2 would be better done with station specific chambers that provide those (or other) buffs as a default setting as stations are still woefully behind ships in that department.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I can see homebases being vulnerable during weekend pm-times.
    But countries might differ, so we would have the early and the late server time zones (8 hours duing 16 day hours).
    But peoples need to pee and eat too... dunno if that is a problem.

About the weapon strength multiplier, I am not so much in favour of them. I appreciate "heavy blocks".
    And the heavier your ship/station, the heavier your weapons can be without causing recoil or flip your ship while turning.

"Heavy Blocks" would be used by scavengers and stations where thrust does not matter.
    They should provide between medium-best armor, so that they are an alternative to advacned armor for scavengers and for hull, they would simply use some terrain type.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    This is intriguing, but I agree #2 should be a station specific chamber. The reason I say this is that (unless you are building a titan of a station) non homebase stations are sitting ducks.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Stations suggest that they will be deployed somewhere specific. Anomaly, asteroid to mine, Solar plants and com satelites in orbits, ....

They should also be not full-fledged ships. Maybe half FTL-speed/rate. Maybe low thrust/turn.
    Something that requires them 2x as much time to move around as ships.

For that, why not make a station-design available which uses other formulas.
    While stationary: 20% more weapon range, shield cap and reactor output.
    In mobile state: 20% more thrust, 20% decreased speed cap, 20% decreased reactor output and weapon range.

Delay addition of station-designation and removal of it by 5 minutes.
    The NPC need that time to safely store objects which otherwise would fly around while accelerating/turning or enable all intertia stabilizers.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    A rule to turn off homebase invincibility at a set server time? Long as you add in an extra caveat there that it only happens if the station's owner is online, that could definitely be interesting!

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    A rule to turn off homebase invincibility at a set server time? Long as you add in an extra caveat there that it only happens if the station's owner is online, that could definitely be interesting!
    Ideally I'd want it to be that if you want to play with this "hardcore" kind of mode youd have it so the owner of the station sets the time to their convinience. But that'd require a whole new gui and everything, so that's why I suggested this simple condition for rules.

Reactions: NeonSturm

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Ideally I'd want it to be that if you want to play with this "hardcore" kind of mode youd have it so the owner of the station sets the time to their convinience. But that'd require a whole new gui and everything, so that's why I suggested this simple condition for rules.
    Yeah, I'd just be wary of people who would exploit it and attack a base when no players are online to give a coordinated defense. The AI is still pretty dumb, so it would be much easier to just wipe someone out while they're offline and incapable of properly defending themselves.

Setting the time would be one way, but then I'd fear people would set it for some really weird time when nobody else is on, just to burn through it, and be invincible when other people are on.

If its at a set time each day, then anyone online is going to have to deal with it, and people would schedule to be on during that time if they wanted to PvP. Those who didn't could just sit it out.

Its not a bad way of handling it, long as the people who wanted to sit it out could.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Ok. I am a station owner who is online at 4:00 after midnight where other peoples which go to work or still to school and play SM during free hours have to sleep. Either to be fit for work to not lose jobs or becaue they have parents enforcing it on them.

I set the time to around 4:00 so that nobody is attacking me.
    What will you do?

I suggested between 8:00-16:00 and 16:00-24:00 times on weekend, maybe even 3 shifts for Euro/USA/Asian peoples, because it is most common and there are abuses too if peoples can set their times themselves.

In real life, military bases might have enemies adopting to their time-plan. Once SM playerbase is big enough, have each player be able to set time himself. For now? I don't know if it is a good idea.

Reactions: aceface

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    1. recruit american players
    2. stay up really late :D
    1. if you have the money / fame / followers ready to support you.
    2. if your parents or work allows that ... shine, select your player base =)