Station and planet shields

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Pretty simple suggestion. A type of shield you can only place on stations or planets, and uses a crapton of power. It projects a bubble around the planet segment or station. It would block all enemy ships above a certain mass of getting in - the size depends on the how much power the shield has. You could edit permissions to let only allies, neutrals, or all get in. The more power, the larger the ships that can get in, but it would always remain between 100 and 1,000 mass. This way, shields would protect a station or a planet from being destroyed from orbit and gunning down all astronauts on the surface.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I mean, the bubble was nixed because of performance issues. I don't know if it was because it didn't scale well, or because it didn't work well at all. However, I don't think that having two bubble shields max per sector would be a huge performance draw if they worked. Not sure how well collision how ships against the bubble would be. Anyway, it might be more reasonable to do some sort of polyhedron-shaped shield instead of a sphere.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    if it didn't lag the bubble shield should only top large ships getting through. with a weak shield it stops over 20k mass ships, with a medium powerful shield it stops ships over 10k mass. There should be a minimum mass the shield can stop about 100mass. The numbers are proabably not good but the shield shouldn't stop small ships.

Reaction score
    i agree that planet stations need a way to protect themselves better...but ...NO BUBBLES ANYMORE PLEASE!

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I think the atmosphere of the planet should be the shield, but I don't think stations should have bubble shields.

Reaction score
    i think i can see a little confusion, i'm thinking the author is referring to "bubble" shields, as a shield that has a gap between it, and what it's protecting, not that it's rounded and oval/circular. there was a minecraft mod that did a very good "shield", (yes it was ages ago, so some details are kind of foggy), it was customisable, in shape, size, density, effect (sponge, electric shock, "solid" preventing people going through it, or just projectiles and explosions) and even texture (make it look like something else)
    despite the rather poor programming of both minecraft, and minecraft forge (to be fair, forge themselves had to accommodate the buggy minecraft code), on smaller sizes it was actually rather quick to respond, just looking at how starmade handles block loading, it should have no issue loading a fake block as a shield. really all that has to happen for a "bubble" effect, is the game gets the dimensions of the "shielded", adds say 2-5 blocks on those dimensions, and then calculate the new "blocks" placement in a roundish shape (assuming they want round).