Starting player doubt's

Reaction score
    Hey there i have been reading the forum and i didn´t see some info that i needed.

I just bought the game, so if i start a game in my own private server and then want to join some other server will i lose everything? i mean,if i leave one server for other will my stuff accompany me?

do you guys suggest any global server, i like to build but also a little of pvp?

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    You don't lose anything on the server you are on but yes you have to start over on a new server since your data isn't saved there. Each server is its own world and copy of the game and they don't know a thing about the others. Personally I'd just pick a server with as low a ping as you can find that fits what you want to do. Most servers will let you upload blueprints of things you've made so you can try to make them again on their servers. :)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    One way to keep much of what you have already built is to play on one of the top ranked servers. They basically cheat their way into the top rank by giving their players enormous 'rewards' for voting for the server, and many of their players vote every day. Those rewards can quite easily give you the resources to outright buy much of what you might have already built the hard way.

The downside to such servers of course is that you tend to lose much of any sense of achievement personally, and you know you are 'competing' with players who have invested little into their creations. You are for instance much more likely to run across people who will risk their ships to attack you for no other reason than you look easy, because having invested little, they risk little. On a server that does not buy votes, where you have to earn your resources and therefor your ships, the hard way, you have both more sense of achievement and less risk of being griefed.

Such lower ranked servers are of course less populated. Having more than a handful of players on at any given time would be a rarity, but that also tends to mean less lag as well.

Last edited:
    Reactions: cyberus111

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Its like Minecraft, every time you start a new world, you start out from scratch.

With one exception. You can save blueprints for your ships and stations and upload those blueprints to whatever new server you go to. You'll still have to work up enough capacity to buy/make the blocks to build your ship out of, but the blueprint will let you bring it in whole and ready to go without having to rebuild it block by block.

So its really 50/50. You can keep everything you made in single player when you move to a new multiplayer server, but you have to supply the blocks for it, you can't just spawn it in out of thin air.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    A word of caution on some of the lower ranked servers. Take a look at how long they've been around and their operational status. I can tell you that it is frustrating to work diligently on a base and ships, only have it all disappear when the server goes away.

Also, with regard to what panpiper said, there is one high-ranked server I know of that restricts PvP to the null quadrant and enforces that rule. Griefers are not tolerated and the community is fairly helpful. It's the Dominion server. Stop on by and check it out, if you're interested.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Long as we're giving server selection tips, there is one thing I ask in chat on a new server before I do anything else:

"What are the custom settings here? Mining boosts, speed boosts, pirates, god mode for voting, anything that isn't vanilla."

Any server that has mining boosts, I won't stay on. Any server that has drastically increased pirate power, I won't stay on (I don't care if the vets are bored, having pirates in 100m long ships that slaughter newbies is unacceptable). More than 300 m/sec speed, I won't stay on.

I sure as hell won't stay on any server that allows God Mode for any reason what-so-ever, or any server that gives big bribes for voting.

Hint: If the only way you can get people to vote for your server is to pay them, then you probably don't have a server thats worth voting for in the first place.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Not too bugged by speeds but if you have to bribe people to play with greater rewards than someone else you're in for a visit from the worst possible players you can imagine.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    All I can say is if you are doing server research, actually do it, otherwise you can end up sinking months in to a server only to get burned. Dont just take people's words for it, look at their forums, websites, or main posting sites (many use Google +). How active are they? Even though most servers can (and will) be spending more time in teamspeak or other VOIPs, observing their forums is a good way to see how they will interact on in-game chats. Are the players always asking questions without getting decent responses? Are there a high number of trolling complaints? Are there pictures or videos of events, interesting builds, or teamwork? Also, check some youtubers and community content generators and see where they play. If a server is in the top 10 but dont contribute anything to the overall community, then there's a good chance that their player base wont be as willing to contribute to your growth as a player and their top-10 score is based on vote manipulation.

I've been burned and it almost made me stop playing starmade altogether. But then I realized that one bad server does not make a bad game, and put in the effort to find a server I was comfortable with.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    That's usually why I find one of those quiet servers where I can build up a nice surprise for people in peace and have plenty of time to setup death for trolls. :)

In any event sometimes dropping into a server randomly you can get into without a form is a good way to see what is going on. Quiet players normally won't bother you, it's the noisy ones you want to worry about depending on what they are up too. :)