Starmade Won't Work on Windows 8.1, Although 8.0 Was Fine

Reaction score
    Hi all,

I recently got a new laptop and downloaded starmade. It worked like a charm, ran smooth and I spent many happy hours building satrships to my heart's content. At this point it was Windows 8. Then one day it prompted me to update to 8.1 so I did and it caused a few problems, long story short I got it to my tech guy and it now runs perfectly on Windows 8.1. Well, not completely perfectly, Starmade quits out after loading 100%.

I've scoured the web over the past couple months, tried all sorts of ways to fix it, the latest and most elaborate running a virtual windows 7 on the same PC. And at the end of the day all the evidence points to that something with windows 8.1 is causing it to be unplayable. The hardware is fine, intel card yes, but its up to date and ran the game perfectly in the past. That virtual windows 7 also got the game to work although there were issues with the medium that made it laggy to the point of being unplayable.

I have no idea how to fix this which sucks 'cause I love this game and want to continue playing when the fancy strikes me(and it hits hard when it does). Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Reaction score
    Go to www.ninite.com and download Java. It will download and install the most recent versions of both the 32 and 64 bit edition for you.

After this is done, you want to start the Starmade launcher, go to its options and change the memory settings. Increase the RAM allocated, I recommend half your available system RAM.

HTH,

Moredice