StarMade server resource usage

Reaction score
    Hey guys! I'm thinking of starting up a small server for a community I run. It would hold probably max 10 people, and I want to rent a VPS to run it on and configure everything myself.

If you've done this before, how much RAM did StarMade use, and what was the processor usage like?
    Need to get a good idea of this so I can set the VPS up accordingly.

Note: spamming your StarMade hosting service in this thread is not welcome, I'm just looking for some numbers and advice.

Reaction score
    Hi Lucas, I see you haven't had a response so I let you know. for a 10 player server on a VPS, all you really need is minimum a 1 core VPS with 1gb memory you would want a 100mbps connection.

Reaction score
    Hi Lucas, I see you haven't had a response so I let you know. for a 10 player server on a VPS, all you really need is minimum a 1 core VPS with 1gb memory you would want a 100mbps connection.
    Thanks for responding! How does your server react when people do stupid shit on it? Such as typical giantass ship battles/rammings, planetary ship suicides, flying into the sun, etc.

Reaction score
    Hi Lucas, I run servers for others as a host and from what I see it normally will cause general lag, easiest way to deal with it is to delete the offending vessel. It really depends on the stats of your vps as well for how much it can compute for the environment.

If the VPS doesn't work out for you I know that you can get a dedicated game server with more power for the price of a vps.

Reaction score
    xllX Hunter Xllx Thanks for the response. I think I found a good place to host a StarMade server with a few players on it, just have to order a package and get things set up.

What I really wanted to see was actual numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    Hiya, i would avoid most "shared hosting" services such as PingPerfect and KissNode.
    As for numbers, 1-2GB of RAM per player is not a bad idea, i host my own server on a dedicated server.

Reaction score
    No problem Lucas, and enjoy your new server with your friends.

Just a quick point to make regarding shared hosting, it is that shared hosting isn't always bad and is an affordable solution with the right host, it can be quite good as long as the host is reputable and is not in the habit of over selling. Support is key too, as well as quickly maintaining updates and backups for its users.

The best scenario for anyone is when the host provides dedicated ram packages that include dedicated memory, bandwidth and cores for each service, this ensures that each person gets exactly what they deserve and pay for and is not affected by other servers on the boxes they run.

;)

Reaction score
    Hiya, i would avoid most "shared hosting" services such as PingPerfect and KissNode.
    As for numbers, 1-2GB of RAM per player is not a bad idea, i host my own server on a dedicated server.
    Holy crap. That's pretty insane, 1-2 GB per player?! Damn! Well, I'll try it I guess. Wish there was a way to limit block numbers on ships to decrease the chance of lag spikes.

xllX Hunter Xllx I just stay away from shared hosting altogether really. Shared VPS hosting usually isn't too bad if you go with the right providers. Or did you mean shared VPS hosting?

Anyway, that's what I'm going with. I'll have to spin up a server and see stats for myself I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    No, you do not need 1-2 gb per player. a 512mb server is good for 10 players, 2gb would get you an easy 40. I know from experience.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    Err.
    No.
    That's what the LAST TWO HOSTING PROVIDERS I WENT TO SAID!
    And you know what? Every day, constant out of memory errors and crashes.
    I eventually got tried of being over charged for a decent amount of RAM, and i now host my Starmade server on a dedicated server.
    So, yeah. I know from experience, also!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    4 cores with ~4GB of ram should do. You can get ~30-40 players on one, but your load average will be high.