starmade needs an intro track

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Every great scifi epic has am intro. Star wars, star trek, Dr who, star gate, etc. Starmade needs something epic as well. Maybe a little more on the ambience side I'm thinking. Anyone know some musically talented people?

Reaction score
    Found it. And if not, Im totally using it as my own when I play.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I'd be happy if it was at least half as cool as this.

Reaction score
    We need something different to the 'lets spin around as fast as we god damn can with rollercoaster spins' I can't play this game if I'm ill or I'll chuck...

Reaction score
    yes iv thought the same thing many times, what should play when you first start the game up and are flying around in the spawn screen. i even went as far as to try and make my own song :p altho i haven't worked on it in a couple of months to be honest. but i should definitely finish it if anything as the theme for my youtube videos :D

alas, everyone has a different idea for the perfect theme song but...

heres what i have so far. it even has a very slight feel to the little intro melody of an old spaceship game i played as a kid called Xevious. i couldn't help but think about it when i started playing starmade. the melody is original (the game only had like a 5 second melody) but i wanted to capture the feel of gamey old school sound and melody. its very rough and unfinished, and no where near what the final version would be in terms of sounds and quality. but the main idea for the melody is there.

also a bonus shot of the latest additions to Clarkes vision (coming soon to a lets play near you!)

Reactions: Krazykat
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Yeah, it definitely needs more of a hook rather than an undefined series of nice sounding music. All the great scifi shows have a hook in their theme. You can whistle the theme in 5 notes or less and people will get it.
    Dr. who, 3 notes. you've got it
    Star Trek TNG 6 notes.
    Star Trek Voyager, 9 notes
    Star Wars, (first chord really), but after opening it's 4 or 5... ba ba ba baaaaaa, baaaaaaa
    Star Gate (little more complex, but everything is distinct)

Just a few examples. DISTINCT sound. Not just nice sounding music with no catch.

Reactions: OdraNoel

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This is why I think that StarMade could set itself apart by setting up an internal MP3 player with different playlists for different sections of the game (E.g. Intro, spacewalking, combat, building, etc.). Then everyone could put the song that they want into their own playlist for the game. Boom! Instant custom soundtrack. Everyone could have a soundtrack to the game to fit their unique taste. And if you get tired of this soundtrack, you alter the playlists with different music and BOOM! Suddenly your game has a completely different feel.

A basic web search finds the library "JLayer" appears to be the de facto Java standard MP3 library. It has a LGPL license.

Reactions: Mariux and jath
    Reaction score
    This is why I think that StarMade could set itself apart by setting up an internal MP3 player with different playlists for different sections of the game (E.g. Intro, spacewalking, combat, building, etc.). Then everyone could put the song that they want into their own playlist for the game. Boom! Instant custom soundtrack. Everyone could have a soundtrack to the game to fit their unique taste. And if you get tired of this soundtrack, you alter the playlists with different music and BOOM! Suddenly your game has a completely different feel.

A basic web search finds the library "JLayer" appears to be the de facto Java standard MP3 library. It has a LGPL license.
    Why not just play youtube in the back round?

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Why not just play youtube in the back round?
    An empty browser not doing anything takes up an enormous amount of RAM. (About 20 MB on average) Loading up YouTube uses even more. I am still pulling together parts for a new computer to handle such multiprocessing. As it is, with nothing else running, I run out of RAM and crash if I get within a couple of sectors of an in-game planet.

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    I've been meaning to get back into music creation. maybe this could be a good project for that...

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Although, now that I thought, Starmade needs a theme song at least...

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    I've only ever made terrible EDM. And that era passed away with the loss of my fasttracker for dos regcode.
    RIP FS2
    Long live Mario Paint.

As it is we have plenty of musical talent around the forums. Crusade and Pholo, Archer and someone who's IGN I forget just now. Buckets fulla tallent.