StarMade made using which JDK?

• Thread starter Deleted member 392097
    • Start date
    D

Deleted member 392097

I have got Java 7 and 8 on my computer, but soon I will be getting rid of 7 as most Java applications that I use are upgrading to JDK 8. But is StarMade made using JDK 7 or 8? As I don't want to cause any problems with StarMade on my machine by getting rid of Java 7, if StarMade is made using JDK 7 and thus not compatible with Java 8.

Reaction score
    I am using JDK/JRE 8 and havent experienced any problems so far.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have got Java 7 and 8 on my computer, but soon I will be getting rid of 7 as most Java applications that I use are upgrading to JDK 8. But is StarMade made using JDK 7 or 8? As I don't want to cause any problems with StarMade on my machine by getting rid of Java 7, if StarMade is made using JDK 7 and thus not compatible with Java 8.
    Get rid of one of those RIGHT NOW! You don't need two versions, and it can only cause problems.
    Also, java 8 isn't available for public right now, so you don't need it.

Reaction score
    Get rid of one of those RIGHT NOW! You don't need two versions, and it can only cause problems.
    Also, java 8 isn't available for public right now, so you don't need it.
    Completely wrong.
    • I've never heard of issues because two different major releases were installed. A 32bit alongside a 64bit installation is the troublesome situation.
    • You don't know he doesn't need them—there are useful applications for that.
    • Java 8 was released more than half a year ago.

Reactions: Comr4de
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yes, it was released, but for developers. The official java site says that it will be available for download towards the end of 2014.

D

Deleted member 392097

Yes, it was released, but for developers. The official java site says that it will be available for download towards the end of 2014.
    I got Java 8 because I do development with JDK 8 (so in fact I do need it). I still have Java 7 because some of my applications for some reason do not like Java 8, and prefer Java 7. But I don't think that it should matter if I have two JREs.

I am only going to remove Java 7 because in the future it will most likely cause security risks.

Reaction score
    I am only going to remove Java 7 because in the future it will most likely cause security risks.
    How so? You hopefully have the web plugin disabled (or on click-to-play, at least) already, so even with a stone-old Java 6 I wouldn't be concerned.

Especially as a developer I would consider an installation of JDK 1.7 important, because of Java 7 compatibility (unless you rely on shiny new language features).

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This reminds me of the old Internet Explorer version 6 which
    1. made webside devs getting very annoyed about peoples complaining their stuff doesn't include 10000000 of hacks for a very outdated version
    2. was even disliked by Microsoft itself as they already brought out IE 8+

I think you should forget about Java7 if Java9 comes out.
    You should have at least 3-7 years backward compatibility, dependent on what you write.