Planned Starmade: Endgame, Nebula and Aliens

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    So, for a while Ive been thinking about Starmade, where it is and where its progressing too.
    Ive come up with some changes and additions which I think would improve the 'endgame' concept of SM as well as change how sectors and systems are viewed.

1. NEBULAS

One problem I have with sectors is that they all look the same.... none really offer and advantage/disadvantage/anything of interest over any other.
    So why not introduce Nebulas?
    -Nebulas would make exploration more interesting and effect you and your ship in various ways.
    -Nebulas would be of various sizes (ranging from 1 sector too 2 x 2 or 4 x 4 etc)
    -While in a nebula your view is slightly tinted the colour of the nebula, with it fading in and randomly to make it seem like your going through gas clouds.
    -Possible transparent gas clouds?????
    -From sectors outside the nebula it could look like a really, faint transparent sun the color of the nebula.

Now HOW WOULD NEBULAS LOOK WHILE YOUR IN THEM?
    -I would love them to look like this, however, since Schema isn't a millionaire (yet) I have found an alternative.........

The current effect while your inside a star could be remodeled and used for being inside a nebula.
    Changes could include:
    -Colour depends on type of nebula
    -Intensity could be random (far less than inside a star though)
    -Speed at which it oscillates could vary
    -Transparency Could vary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now how would they effect your ship?
    I suggest that each type of nebula has its own intensity, color and effect with a random size.
    Effects could include
    -Blue Nebula: shields are slowly drained over time/less effective
    -Red Nebula: Shots fired deal 200% damage in this type of nebula (one you want to avoid)
    -Yellow Nebula: Very thick, scanners have a reduced range and cloak/jammers are disabled
    -Orange Nebula: Ship speed/thrust/acceleration increased by 200%
    -Greenish/whitish Nebula: Ships CANNOT jump out this nebula (can they jump in? Yes/no?) they must exit it then jump.
    -Purplish Nebula: Bonus to mining in this nebula plus an increased scan range
    Lightblue/Whitish Nebula: Ion Storms. Usually peaceful, every-once in a while storms will commence which drain ships power, shields and disable chat and message functions.
    etc etc ect......................... (Many more possible)

Adding nebulas would introduce more Strategic game-play using PRE-EXISTING game-play mechanics (not a huge amount of coding required from the devs) as well as making the universe much more Vibarent and Interesting (so each sector doesn't look the name and making some more valuable and some more dangerous than others)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOW, onto the second part of my post:
    One thing starmade sort of 'lacks' is any real end game/ objectives.
    Another thing starmade lacks is any real sort of missions/challenging threats.

So therfore= ADD ALIENS!

Heres how I see it working:
    There are differnt 'tier' alien bases.
    Each alien base is rare and only a couple will spawn per galaxy.
    When initialy spawned, they will use the tier 1 blueprint (not too difficult, rewards based on whats needed to beat the base)
    When this tier 1 alien 'outpost' is destroyed a tier 2 base will be spawned somewhere in the galaxy. This would require substantilay more effort to defeat (would spawn custom alien fighters) and would require players to have been on the server a few weeks to beable to beat it.
    Now, when a tier 2 base is destroyed a tier 3 'HOMEWORLD' base/station would spawn.
    The base would be near to the center of a star system and various other alien stations would then spawn throughout the star sector (16x16 sectors).
    Ships WOULD NOT be able to jump into this star system and must fly through in manually (to make it more of a challenge and make it take some time). This would be disabled if the home base was destroyed. Players are also not allowed to spawn stations in this starsystem (to prevent abuse of 'homebase')
    Objects would include:
    -Outposts: Dont do much, some turrents.
    -Sentery Bases: Heafty defensive platforms requiring large ships to beat.
    -Alien Trading stations. As long are operational, they will occasionally send ships with cargo which will fly to the Home-base/station then despawn (with a max amount at once set in server configs).

The Home base would require months of resource gathering to beat and would be only for experienced players (plus only spawns when easier bases are conquered so that the progression is smooth and players fight bases of their level).
    Player in an 'alien star system' would generate % chance for a random alien spawn.
    Bases, objects and ships would all have the same theme and could be built by the community to specifications.
    e.g:

----------------------------------------------------------

So, to recap:
    Nebulas: Use exsisting game mechanics
    Effect ships in different ways
    Of varried size, color and intensity

Aliens: To have more difficult bases spawn you have to conquer the easier ones first
    When a tier 2 base has been destroyed an alien home base will spawn in an undiscovered sector
    The Star system will be populated in various alien objects
    Players will not beable to jump in or build any bases in the system (16x16 sectors) until the central base is destroyed
    A tier 3 base would be extremly difficult to take down (endgame concept)
    After destruction of a tier 3 base, Alien swarms may spawn and attack the players
    Bases, objects and ships would all have the same theme and could be built by the community to specifications.

So what do you guys think about these changes?
    I dont see too much coding required by the devs and this would defiantly make star made more interesting (survival) and give players goals to work for as well as make exploration fun and worth while

Cheers and fly safe!

Dire_Venom

Reactions: alaricdragon

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Thanks for your suggestions Dire Venom.

From the onset things like nebulae and more races are definitely things that are planned. Our thoughts on nebulae are quite similar to what you've described, they would come as part of the larger update to stellar diversity (found on the roadmap here).

For the alien races we're being quite strategic in how they're implemented. One of the big appeals of StarMade is the ability to adjust the server configs so you can enjoy and experience your server the way you want to. A lot of people have RP servers, and for something like alien races we definitely see that as another opportunity to increase the immersion no matter if you're playing the standard game or on a RP server. In light of all that we have planned out how we think we'll implement alien races, to allow for that same level of customization on individual servers.

Endgame for SM is definitely something we've considered. With any of these sandbox games where there isn't a distinct linear progression, the endgame or end goals can often be blurry. This is something even games like EVE have had to face, as it's hard to point to an endgame scenario when the game is open-ended. After considering that, rather than identifying end game scenarios for StarMade, we've identified a number of long-term gameplay goals that players could work towards in both single player and multiplayer, and in doing so have looked at what's planned to make those goals not only achievable but also rewarding to work towards. Interactions with alien races is definitely a key part of that, though what exactly that looks like will be influenced by things like the questing system etc.

Hope this explains a lot of the plans as it relates to your suggestion, why it's listed as planned, and more specifically what aspects of your suggestion are actually planned.

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Thanks for your suggestions Dire Venom.

From the onset things like nebulae and more races are definitely things that are planned. Our thoughts on nebulae are quite similar to what you've described, they would come as part of the larger update to stellar diversity (found on the roadmap here).

For the alien races we're being quite strategic in how they're implemented. One of the big appeals of StarMade is the ability to adjust the server configs so you can enjoy and experience your server the way you want to. A lot of people have RP servers, and for something like alien races we definitely see that as another opportunity to increase the immersion no matter if you're playing the standard game or on a RP server. In light of all that we have planned out how we think we'll implement alien races, to allow for that same level of customization on individual servers.

Endgame for SM is definitely something we've considered. With any of these sandbox games where there isn't a distinct linear progression, the endgame or end goals can often be blurry. This is something even games like EVE have had to face, as it's hard to point to an endgame scenario when the game is open-ended. After considering that, rather than identifying end game scenarios for StarMade, we've identified a number of long-term gameplay goals that players could work towards in both single player and multiplayer, and in doing so have looked at what's planned to make those goals not only achievable but also rewarding to work towards. Interactions with alien races is definitely a key part of that, though what exactly that looks like will be influenced by things like the questing system etc.

Hope this explains a lot of the plans as it relates to your suggestion, why it's listed as planned, and more specifically what aspects of your suggestion are actually planned.
    Bench, when it comes to alien races, at least consider my Dynamic Galaxies (I'm aware that it's shameless self-advertising) While more races in general would be a good addition to the game, the best way to add them to Starmade (both for uniqueness and customizable options) would be the way I suggested, procedurally generated factions that are dynamic in play, there are many people who agree, and there has been a lot of discussion as to how it could work, such as a tick system. At least provide closure to how the alien races/factions will be implemented, since they're the most delicate thing to add in. (as in, they're the easiest to get severely wrong)

Hell, if you need me to, I'll write the whole dynamic faction system, however it would be in C# and with Unity. :P

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Thanks for replying Bench!!!!! :D
    Just another suggestion on races and endgame etc.....
    There could be 'archaeological' sites/artifacts/ruins hidden around the galaxy (could be community made)
    Each one found had a piece of the puzzle in it.... (can't take damage to prevent greifing maybe?, also might be occupied by aliens, pirates, traps placed long ago etc.....)
    Certain ones could contain cords for rarer sites sites, which could be full of bounty or have the cords for an alien races home-world.....
    Just a thought but I think it would encourage exploration and the community would LOVE to build the sites for you :D

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    There could be 'archaeological' sites/artifacts/ruins hidden around the galaxy (could be community made)
    Each one found had a piece of the puzzle in it.... (can't take damage to prevent greifing maybe?, also might be occupied by aliens, pirates, traps placed long ago etc.....)
    Certain ones could contain cords for rarer sites sites, which could be full of bounty or have the cords for an alien races home-world.....
    Just a thought but I think it would encourage exploration and the community would LOVE to build the sites for you :D
    Love the archaeological alien scavenger hunt idea! This game could use more reasons to explore, and that'd be a perfect way to implement it.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Bench, when it comes to alien races, at least consider my Dynamic Galaxies (I'm aware that it's shameless self-advertising) While more races in general would be a good addition to the game, the best way to add them to Starmade (both for uniqueness and customizable options) would be the way I suggested, procedurally generated factions that are dynamic in play, there are many people who agree, and there has been a lot of discussion as to how it could work, such as a tick system. At least provide closure to how the alien races/factions will be implemented, since they're the most delicate thing to add in. (as in, they're the easiest to get severely wrong)

Hell, if you need me to, I'll write the whole dynamic faction system, however it would be in C# and with Unity. :p
    Nice suggestion. There's a lot in there that we've already considered as part of our implementation so we're kinda on a similar direction though there's other stuff we're considering as well.

Things like these tie in with some other planned features, so don't worry there's a lot of planned stuff that will encourage exploration, a lot of it integrates with other aspects of the game though, so they're not so easy to just drop in, they require a bit more development.

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Nice suggestion. There's a lot in there that we've already considered as part of our implementation so we're kinda on a similar direction though there's other stuff we're considering as well.

Things like these tie in with some other planned features, so don't worry there's a lot of planned stuff that will encourage exploration, a lot of it integrates with other aspects of the game though, so they're not so easy to just drop in, they require a bit more development.
    I'll be honest, I'm relieved at the fact that our thoughts on this go in a similar direction. Thanks for the reply. ^_^

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    -I would love them to look like this, however, since Schema isn't a millionaire (yet) I have found an alternative.........

The current effect while your inside a star could be remodeled and used for being inside a nebula.
    The current procedual backgrounds look more like picture 1 than 2. Anyway, the second point indicates one of the things that should get changed - right now loot drops as icons. Instead it should drop as a debris cloud, which behaves like a small nebula.

Reactions: Dire Venom
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Speaking of alien Races, I've kinda hoped that there would also be space dwelling fauna. Something scary and powerful kinda like the Crystaline entity from Star Trek, or something slightly annoying like Species 9341 from Star Trek Armada. Another Idea Ive had is something silicone based. lives among astroids and looks like one.
    I wonder what if any thoughts have devs had about this type of fauna?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Perhaps multiple alien races could be added. The stuff that's being discussed here leads me to believe you guys only want hostile aliens to conquer :p Perhaps some races that are traders or something? Like the trade guild. They could then sell all kinds of exotic stuff :D Or hostility between races so you could pick sides.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I'd really like aliens to be randomly generated, just like creatures are going to be (or so we've heard?). Additionally, there could be a big contest for "faction fleets" and numerous recolors of all those fleets that would be assigned to the randomly generated factions.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    What I want to see:
    -Giant space worms tunneling through Asteroids
    -Giant space whales coming in and out of wormholes :D

JK, (it would be cool though)

With the current rail system, organic movement can be replicated to a degree, so they could be ships imitating creatures?

Reactions: Andem
    Reaction score
    Dire Venom, I personally think that those are great ideas for fleshing out the world. OK, maybe not the space whales, but space worms could live inside of nebulae and attack your ship, or something.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Dire Venom, I personally think that those are great ideas for fleshing out the world. OK, maybe not the space whales, but space worms could live inside of nebulae and attack your ship, or something.
    Space whales have already been modeled by the dev team, they just wont be called 'Space whales' XD
    Im looking forward to what Schema can come up with

Reaction score
    Good job, Dev Team! Aliens that can live in the vacuum of space are always interesting.

Reaction score
    There should be a gas collector or an expansion on the current salvage system so that you can siphon the gas from nebulae for resources. :)

Reaction score
    Something like that, I was thinking a siphon system that would slowly gather up the gas (more a visual effect than anything) and give you random ores over time. It would be best for a station hidden in a nebula that can slowly gather up resources.