StarMade balance?

Reaction score
    My compliments to the Author on this one. A big thumbs up! This game is totally awesome.

I have had a few bugs piss me off and if I offended anyone I humbly apologize.

However, considering this game is still Alpha, it is not bad at all.

Balance will eventually become an issue though, since I have seen posts from players maxing out their credits sooner than they would have liked.

Also if a server gives the pirates permission to use a wide range of ships from fighters to big battleships, this kills the low end for any new players. In other words a huge imbalance.

One fact I have learned over the years, a game or game server which has a good balance supporting a broad range of player skills, will see more players, than the server which is exclusive to just high end or just low end players.

I know somebody out there is going to totally disagree with anything I have to say, but here goes:

I recommend the pirates be a bit less generous with the drops. If credits are too easy to get many players will not bother with factories and such as an alternate means of getting credits.

I also think allowing the pirates to use big powerful ships is not such a good idea, but I also think many server admins and players will adjust this properly, on their own, based on experience. hah Getting your butt handed to you too many times by the pirates can force you to rethink how you play the game or set the rules.

Reaction score
    I recommend the pirates be a bit less generous with the drops. If credits are too easy to get many players will not bother with factories and such as an alternate means of getting credits.

I also think allowing the pirates to use big powerful ships is not such a good idea, but I also think many server admins and players will adjust this properly, on their own, based on experience. hah Getting your butt handed to you too many times by the pirates can force you to rethink how you play the game or set the rules.

These are already server settings that can be modified by the server admins.

AI_DESTRUCTION_LOOT_COUNT_MULTIPLIER = 0.9 //multiply amount of items in a loot stack. use values smaller 1 for less and 0 for none
    AI_DESTRUCTION_LOOT_STACK_MULTIPLIER = 0.9 //multiply amount of items spawned after AI destruction. use values smaller 1 for less and 0 for none
    CHEST_LOOT_COUNT_MULTIPLIER = 0.9 //multiply amount of items in a loot stack. use values smaller 1 for less and 0 for none
    CHEST_LOOT_STACK_MULTIPLIER = 0.9 //multiply amount of items spawned in chests of generated chests. use values smaller 1 for less and 0 for none

Pirate ships are also set by the admins through the catalog.

Reaction score
    I\'d like to see an alteration in the pirate mechanic, so that pirates can only gain access to larger or more dangerous ships the farther you get from 0,0,0. and so they can launch drones just like you can. Maybe every 20 zones or so they get their potential block count multiplied by 2. Hmm... maybe that\'s a mod I can write...

Reaction score
    Schema mentioned in his interview on CoopY that he wanted to do this. You can watch the sub titled version in the announcement section.

Reaction score
    Dire Badger

I like this idea, this offers the extreme high end players a challenge, while keeping a fairly safe area where low end players get a chance to be high end players. Much better than just letting pirates use what ever is allowed in the catatlog and have it show up everywhere. Ruins it for low end players.

DracoNB, It is good to know, the config file has a place for pirate loot adjustments, the maximum credits of aprox. 2.1 billion is too easy to achieve. Perhaps you or somebody knows a good balance settng for this? It seems to me to me it should take a while to acquire 2.1 billion credits considering what can be bought with that much.