Star-Made Modding API?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    Integration mods into StarMade.. interesting proposition.
    The very best mods are the one's that are server side meaning a vanilla client can just hook right in. No extra steps for the user. As it is StarMade can already fetch content needed from the server without affecting the client's ability to use servers that don't share that content. I'd like to see how that works out for the end user.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    That is how all mods should work. It would mean no compatibility issues for anyone and modders won't have to worry about that and the noob complaints they get relating to that. WE may have to have a way to scan these mods though for malware.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    WE may have to have a way to scan these mods though for malware.

Protocol and Access filters / permissions are a lot better.
    Maybe setting up that is what takes schema that long? :)
    Optimization if you don't check what is already checked.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    Ideally a mod would have no interaction to outside services that isn't documented fully. Anything not using 100% of the existing API would be suspect. Modders building such tools should disclaim their work and declare any and all third parties involved.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'm starting to get into modding since the new update. The new custom configs is a great start. There are still a few problems with it, but that will of course get fixed.

I really like the block editor in the launcher. Unfortunately that has the most problems with it, so it currently can't be used for creating new blocks or editing the custom config.

Custom build icons also aren't supported, but that will also most likely change.

I feel that I left one thing out: the way this custom config is made means that there won't have to be any updating done to a mod once it has been made, unless there are new values which have to be added. Or if the mod creator wants to change/add something of course.

Overal I feel that this is a great step towards modding, and once the block editor is fully functional and custom build icons are supported I will start working on a few mods myself.

Reaction score
    Hey! Just saw this thread and I'd love to see a modding API

Currently for me i'm looking for OnChatEvent and being able to cancel the events and send chat messages to players - has anyone done anything similar?

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    Contact Megacrafter127 and be patient. Ol' megs is gonna be pretty busy. But as it is there are tons of cfg and xml files you can play with to make a modified version of the game suit your needs.

I'm also locking this thread as the last post is over a month old. You can link to this thread if you must when you make or post to a newer modding related thread.

Status
    Not open for further replies.