"squatting" in stations to reduce the price

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    If a player can not afford a station, give them the option to "squat" in it. this causes the station to lower its purchase price, and maybe cause hostile mobs to spawn inside too.

Reactions: Lukwan and MeepMoop
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You can with some effort get a cheap station. Assuming this mechanic still works. All neutral stations are decayed and you only get scrap materials for salvage. If you claim the station you have to pay the price of upgrading the scrap blocks to normal blocks for what is on the station. If you salvage the station down to a couple blocks then claim it then its very cheap. Then build onto it.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If a player can not afford a station, give them the option to "squat" in it. this causes the station to lower its purchase price, and maybe cause hostile mobs to spawn inside too.
    the idea may be good, but not realistic, get me?

Reaction score
    Not a bad idea. I've seen a couple of shows which had station squatting. There are also some popular movies like Aliens which had something sort of like station squatting, and "hostile mobs" sort of "spawned".

I don't know exactly how the mechanics would work to really make it useful though. As HolyCookie said, it may not be a very realistic plan. I think it's possible if the shipyard update comes, stations would be far more valuable and people would be more inclined to squat in an abandoned station and weather the risks of alien intruders. Maybe they might even set up some makeshift defenses like mini turrets to keep up defenses- sounds a little interesting now.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    We already kinda have station squatting.

Pretty sure you can claim a system with a decayed station, can't you?

The only thing I know for certain is that while you can place blocks on decayed stations, you only get scrap when you pick them back up.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    We already kinda have station squatting.

Pretty sure you can claim a system with a decayed station, can't you?

The only thing I know for certain is that while you can place blocks on decayed stations, you only get scrap when you pick them back up.

See, i was thinking that the longer you lived on the station, in single player, the cheaper it would become over time.

When i play single player, and start a new world, i just ignore the derelict stations. Instead i buy a faction block, and a refinery, and i fly to the nearest planet.

So i got to thinking: wouldn't it be cool to just claim a station by squatting in it? Cause otherwise, i hardly use stations. so i posted the idea here...